Search results

1. D

Totally frustrated - aiptasia

So I have tried multiple ways to kill off aiptasia. In my NPS when I moved everything to the 30g, I took a knife and carved them out of the rock before transferring and then covered the spot with epoxy. In that tank they haven't come back. But I still have problems in my SPS holding tank...
  2. D

Evening out a tank

I got my tank just a while ago. It's not sitting right on the desk. What's the best way to get it even? You can see the front right corner is up off the desk and it wobbles. I was told I could use composite shims to slip in there to get it even. So I put two shims in the front right corner and...
  3. D

Plate Coral Placement

On someone else's thread "Sand Corals" a reply mentioned that Tony Vargas said plate corals shouldn't be kept on the sand. I tried researching it and nothing came up. I wasn't at the Dallas Aquarium meeting so can anyone tell me why they shouldn't be kept in the sand? Thanks.
  4. D

Can't find Dartfish

Last week I finally moved my three zebra dartfish back into the 60. After about a year they had gained considerable weight and they all got their eyesight back...although one acted like he needed glasses. But I target fed them and they were doing really good. Thursday night all three were...
  5. D

Oh no you didn't!!

In the process of setting up a new tank, I moved corals and the midas blenny into a temp home...a 15 gallon tank with a 3 gallon refugium. When I finally caught the fish I ran him in the net right to the three gallon and on went the custom cover. Simple set up, 3/4" bulkhead with a bulkhead...
  6. D

Losses

My male mandarin became ill which progressively got worse on Tuesday. Wednesday when I could finally catch him as he was too weak to run, I QT him in a breeder tank in the main tank. In doing so I moved my SPS frag rack over to make room for the small breeder tank. The male died that afternoon...
  7. D

66 Gallon Build

It's official now, a deposit has been made. Since Next Wave I've been making inquiries, decisions, changes and now it's finally going through. I'm replacing my 30 gallon tank with the side by side refugium ( http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=53424&start=80 ). Based on a lot...
  8. D

Chili Coral - It's alive!

I've had this chili coral for a couple years at least, and it was one of the best growing corals in my NPS tank, growing new fingers loaded with polyps. Then one week it showed signs of shutting down and then that was it...a few months back it just stopped extending its polyps (4-5 months...
  9. D

Time for a change

For months I've had major hair algae issues...but not just in one tank...in three saltwater and the freshwater. Secondly, in my SPS tank after trying to switch to a calcium reactor and having issues with the CO2 and switching back to liquid dosing something really affected the corals. Before...
  10. D

RO system side not working

For some reason water isn't coming out of the RO system, only the waste water. The unit is a Melev's 100 gpd. The filters are chloramine filters from Filter Guys. I started noticing the TDS reading coming from the RO wasn't dropping past 17...it used to always go down to at least 4 sometimes...
  11. D

Mandarin jumps through tube

I had prepared these feeding tubes in one of my tanks, they're about 15 inches long, for feeders to drop food in. Walking by the tank I saw something inside one of the tubes. Jeez it was one of my mandarins, looked like the female. I thought I'd try to get a picture and stepped away also...
  12. D

Plumbing issue

It's been a few years since I put together my 60 so I don't remember a lot of the details, plus someone helped me. I started hearing a lot of water noise in the overflow and saw stream of water coming out from the inside of the elbow that leads into the tank. After taking it out I see there's...
  13. D

Taking calcium reactor offline for changes

I just set this system up Sunday and there's issues with the CO2 solenoid. I need to disconnect it from the reactor. The last time I tried that just to check the CO2 line, water started coming into the bubble counter on the reactor since the open connection I guess formed a siphon. I can put...
  14. D

Zebra Bar Gobies

Any experience with them. I ordered three and have had them for a few months now. Two are always together, the 3rd is a bit larger, slightly lighter in color and occasionally bullies/charges the other two, but not super aggressively. Last week I noticed the third one, bullying one, missing. I...
  15. D

Reading discrepancy in pH monitors

After receiving the bus cable yesterday for the new RKL set up (it was missing from the package) I calibrated the pH probe and set it up. Since I had the solution out I went ahead and calibrated all of the pH units I have... two other RKL's, two Pinpoint pH monitors and a Pinpoint pH...
  16. D

Bubble Magus calcium reactor

I bought one around Thanksgiving and was going to set it up last night. I don't see instructions. I don't know if I misfiled them or didn't get any. Online search comes up empty except for a few posts noting "came with no instructions". Anybody use the BM calc reactor that can help? My...
  17. D

Using Digital Multimeter

Due to getting shocked went and picked up a digital multimeter at HD...by Commercial Electric. Questioned the sales guy on usage and he said that the black lead would go into the neutral plug. But when going over the Reef Addicts instructions it shows to insert into the ground plug... so...
  18. D

My mandarins I guess eat anything

While obviously my ORA mandarin pair eat pellets and pods I always wondered if they ate other foods. I feed pellets, Rod's Food and other frozen foods to the fish and for the new Watchman goby I've been using a feeding tube to squirt food at his opening. Just now I squirted a large chunk of...
  19. D

Evil Evil Shrimp

Sometime back I picked up a bunch of peppermints to help deal with the aiptasia. They tortured the darn things by picking off their tentacles but left the aiptasia body there. :( These shrimp are the reddest peppermints I've ever seen, as red as a fire shrimp but a bit more translucent...
  20. D

Just when you think you've got it right

[smilie=worried.gif] I almost have the new dosing regimen tuned in for calcium and alk... sold the two largest corals and got the tank cleaned up and rearranged. Looking good. Then I saw some bubbles. Hmmm probably some cyano, Siphon it off, water change, add carbon, it'll go away, just keep...