Taking calcium reactor offline for changes

debdp

Premium Member
I just set this system up Sunday and there's issues with the CO2 solenoid. I need to disconnect it from the reactor. The last time I tried that just to check the CO2 line, water started coming into the bubble counter on the reactor since the open connection I guess formed a siphon.

I can put a shut off valve on the airline and keep the line higher than the reactor to keep that from happening. But what I want to know is do I shut off the Aqua Lifter and the circulation pump while I'm working on the CO2 regulator, or if I need to take the CO2 offline for a refill. The pH in the reactor was at 7.68 an hour ago and is slowly climbing, currently at 7.7 so the media is not doing anything. And my concern with shutting it off is bacteria in the reactor going foul when the water stops circulating (as it's done in my canister filter before).

Thanks.

I've turned it off before, but I didn't leave it off for hours on end. If you are going to take that long, pump or drain the water out of it before you restart it.

I just traded for a calcium reactor today... after reading this I realize that I must read a TON TON TON on setting up a calcium reactor! Haha!

@matt_longview wrote:
I just traded for a calcium reactor today... after reading this I realize that I must read a TON TON TON on setting up a calcium reactor! Haha! said:
Ha, it's not that bad...but I thought it was going to be. Truthfully it's been sitting in my closet since November waiting for me to set up.

I ended up following the needle valve repair procedure Milwaukee has...drilling into the valve using a 1/16" bit. I just left the pumps/reactor running...but at least now it's working. Maybe it'll stay running so I can get the right flow set...I'm still manually dosing 2 part to keep things stable.

Deb I have been through two Milwaukee reg if the one you have goes out i would look at aquariumplants.com electronic regulator. I just redialed in my new ca reactor and it was a piece of cake. Just set the dial to how many bubbles you want per second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@kuyatwo wrote:
Deb I have been through two Milwaukee reg if the one you have goes out i would look at aquariumplants.com electronic regulator. I just redialed in my new ca reactor and it was a piece of cake. Just set the dial to how many bubbles you want per second Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've had nothing but problems with this solenoid since I got it; I also have the identical reg as a back up. So definitely, once these quit working I will do just that. I've been looking at what other people are using and reading others' reviews, too, so your suggestion is perfect.

It's what I use as well, Debbie. I love it, and it comes with a three year warranty.

@matt_longview wrote:
I just traded for a calcium reactor today... after reading this I realize that I must read a TON TON TON on setting up a calcium reactor! Haha! said:
http://www.melevsreef.com/calcium_reactor.html