Evening out a tank

debdp

Premium Member
I got my tank just a while ago. It's not sitting right on the desk. What's the best way to get it even? You can see the front right corner is up off the desk and it wobbles. I was told I could use composite shims to slip in there to get it even. So I put two shims in the front right corner and it doesn't wobble anymore, but what about the gap between the corner where the two shims are and the corner of the tank that's sitting on the desk?

I'd use thicker foam, and shim under the foam to get equal pressure under the tank.

I'd use 3/4" only because of this large gap. And shim up as much of the difference as you can. Maybe some of that current thin foam you have under the tank now could be cut to fit / patch that area nicely.

Okay disregard my previous comment, I misread what you said. [smilie=sadsmile.gif] I can't budge the tank alone so there's no way to work with the 1/2" foam...I need to just get the 3/4" so I only have to bother a couple guys once to get the tank moved.

Lowe's shows on line 3/4 expanded polystyrene sheet...is that what you're talking about?

So after thinking about how I built the desk and a solution, I pulled out a jack and jacked up the right front part of the desk up until the wood met the tank bottom. There are still minor gaps under the tank but only big enough to slip in a piece of paper in only two spots. in the corner where I was able to put two composite shims pushed in pretty far, the gap is so small I can't even slip the tip of a composite shim under the tank now. I'll remove the 2x3 brace in the front that is now too short and replace it with the proper size brace and a second 2x3 brace in the center for added security. With that done I'll still get 3/4" foamboard for under the tank. With gaps only big enough for paper I'll feel so much better about the stability of the tank. Oh, and I'm definitely going to pick up a digital level so I don't misread the bubble again.

[attachment=2]Top raised with jackIMAG0568.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]New gap spaceIMAG0570.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]New gap spaceIMAG0569.jpg[/attachment]

Nice solution! You may need to shim the top of the desk to the top of the cabinet to fill in more than that cosmetic-looking gap.

I thought that thin stuff under the glass was a type of placemat-like foam. This is what I"m talking about:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-3-4-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Tongue-and-Groove-Insulating-Sheathing-37L/100320340#.UlMujWSc6XM

@Marc wrote:
I thought that thin stuff under the glass was a type of placemat-like foam. This is what I"m talking about: said:
Ah, it's got a PVC bottom under the glass.