Bubble Magus calcium reactor

debdp

Premium Member
I bought one around Thanksgiving and was going to set it up last night. I don't see instructions. I don't know if I misfiled them or didn't get any. Online search comes up empty except for a few posts noting "came with no instructions". Anybody use the BM calc reactor that can help?

My questions:

1. The blue tube coming from the pump (outflow) looks like it just gets "pushed" into the rubber gasket at the bottom of the reactor. Is that correct?

2. There's a blue tube and clear tube coming from the main tube connected to the inflow pipe going to the pump. The clear tube is labeled... in Chinese. What are these tubes for?

3. On top of the inflow pipe leading to the pump there's an elbow with a hose connector. What gets connected to that?

4. In a bag there are two hoses. One is red. Where does it go? What's it for?

5. The other hose is black and has a flow adjustor on it. Where does that go? What's it for?

6. There's a clear tube with hose connections on the top and bottom and a red mounting base with a screw hole and plastic screw. I did find pictures showing it connected on a 150 model. What is that for?

7. Where does the CO2 line get hooked up?

8. The opening for the pH probe... does that just drop in or is it supposed to fit snuggly?

Thank you.

After a number of hours I found one halfway decent video and a couple pictures howbeit conflicting pictures. I had emailed BRS and they replied today...it did not come with instructions and asked for a pic of what I'd done so far. I sent that, and asked if they could explain what the functions of the different hoses were. Said I had everything connected right and went into detail what hose did what. So now I understand how it all works. It's still not running since I'm now busy working...this weekend I should get it running. I still need to move the controller from my FW tank and check/calibrate it...hook up the CO2, etc. And read up on it more so I understand what people mean by 'needing to tweak it'.

I'll post a pic with labels once everything's running.

Thanks Ron... I wasn't sure though whether that was a statement or question about the pic. LOL

[smilie=lol.gif] More of a statement. There are a couple different configurations among the different brands so it would have been better to look at it, from there it's easier to figure out where everything goes. Looks like you got it under control, the BRS folk's are awesome.

Cheers,

Just when I thought I had it figured out. I was reading through Melev's site on setting up a cal reactor, and he mentions a "feed pump" and "recirculation pump". I look at the drawing that BRS sent back and it has writing on the photo pointing to the black hose "..connects to feed pump". So I'm also assuming the clear plastic thing regulates flow into the reactor.

I actually thought that the pump attached to the reactor not only circulated the water through the reactor, but somehow pulled the water from the tank as well. So I'm wrong. I asked BRS what GPH pump was needed and was planning on using a Minijet 404 pump. But BRS just sent back a reply today and said they use the Aqua-Lifter as you don't need a lot of flow into the reactor. On another forum with the same question the guy was told he could use a Maxijet 600. What do most people use for the feed pump? I would have to order the aqualifter... too bad I didn't get the email yesterday when I placed an order with BRS for another doser I could've added the Aqualifter and been all set for the weekend to get this up and running. :( Could I use a minijet with a Tee so most of the flow just goes back into the tank and the rest adjusted on the hose going to the reactor?

[attachment=0]BM100carx.jpg[/attachment]

Can you tie in to the return pump output and add a small valve to supply water to the CaRx. That will save you from dealing with another pump.

Cheers,

If you have a small pump them use it as you mentioned till you get an aqualifter just keep in mind that it need's a pretty small flow just to keep the reactor full and provide positive pressure to push out the drop's of effluent. [smilie=smile.gif]

Cheers,