Time for a change

debdp

Premium Member
For months I've had major hair algae issues...but not just in one tank...in three saltwater and the freshwater.

Secondly, in my SPS tank after trying to switch to a calcium reactor and having issues with the CO2 and switching back to liquid dosing something really affected the corals. Before the reactor trial the corals were gorgeous...bright green against orange on my sunset monti, etc. I was so proud of that tank. A week after the reactor trial and fail they lost their colors and have not gained them back. In fact, they slowly started to RTN only to be further aggravated by loosened hair algae caught on the branches. Mexican turbo additions died in two days, and I tried twice. Ceriths did okay. So I tried an emerald crab. He lived for a week, and I added another. They're still doing well.

Two days ago I did a massive cleaning and fragged all the corals that were declining: Pink lemonade, Red Planet, Turaki, Green slimer and Blue tort. Those frags were moved to the 60. The Rainbow and Sunset montis have not colored up in months, but are not currently RTN. Superman monti, Setosa, Bonsai, green birdsnest, red monti, the chalice and another LPS seem unaffected. All the frags moved to the 60 by the next morning had polyp extension, except the pink lemonade. While most of their bases are brown, the Red Planet's base is white.

The pond foam is coming loose from the side in the refugium section and since both this tank and the freshwater tank have pond foam backgrounds and have the worst algae issues I'm inclined to think that could be the problem.

The change: Sometime this year replace the 40 (30g display/10g refugium) to a full display tank that will fit on top of the desk and remove the file cabinet below and replace it with a sump. This will change the display from a 24x17 x 18 tall to a 36" x 17-20 deep, with a 18 to 20 inch height. And because I'm tremendously careless the tank will not be acrylic but glass.

In general the changes made to combat algae issues was switched from BRS carbon back to the tri-pelletized I was using before, changed salt to Tropic Marin, changed dosing from BRS to ESV Calcium, but still use BRS alk, added a silicate/DI filter to the RO system. DIY'd a new carbon and Biopellet system for the 40g.

With the above changes the 60g soft coral tank is doing significantly better and the turbos are almost able to keep up with the hair algae growth, and what does return is much less.

The 29g freshwater tank - if I can't remove the siliconed pond foamed panel from the back of the tank, it will be replaced.

Debbie,
I'm in a similar boat, 3 tanks, too much work. Going to one larger tank and still deciding on a dosing system vs. Calcium reactor. Do you have a controller that was monitoring pH? I'm curious on what swings caused the coral stress.

Charlie

@Charlie wrote:
Debbie said:
Yes, I was using a Pinpoint pH controller. The issue was with the CO2, it wasn't entering the reactor the way it should to break down the media and consequently the effluent coming out contained very little calcium. For some reason the CO2 gas would come out and then slowly (over a few hours) stop. I bought a new regulator, new bubble counter, etc. and couldn't figure it out. So I just shut it down and switched to liquid dosing but by that time the corals were already stressed. I currently have a gallon jug of BRS alkalinity and a gallon jug of ESV calcium. Each is hooked up to separate BRS peristaltic 1.1 ml per minute dosers run by a Reefkeeper lite using the multi-timer option.

If you have the space for a larger tank that's the way to go. I was switching to a calcium reactor as my understanding was it's a sort of "set it/forget it" option and I thought would be better for my all SPS tank. While it didn't work for me, I still think it is a very good option and one worth considering. Hope that helps.

It could be that the check valve leading to the acrylic reactor was clogged, or the tubing leading to the reactor had a leak. Both have happened to me last year.

Your coral issues sound like low alkalinity. What are the alk, ca, and mg numbers currently?

@Marc wrote:
It could be that the check valve leading to the acrylic reactor was clogged said:
Yep... a week ago the readings were alk 8, ca 500. But I just now checked and the pH is reading 8.4, alk 6, Ca 500. After switching to the ESV calcium I've had to start re-tweaking the dosing. For the longest everything was on the high end with alk 12, ca 500+, ph 8.4-8.5. mg is around 1440. So I've been slowly lowering the dosing to get the numbers a bit lower. Obviously my last tweak was too much.

Yeah, going from 12 to 6 will do it. You mentioned running biopellets, and generally it is best to keep Alk at 8 to avoid burning the tips of your corals. I'd stop dosing Calcium for the next few days to let it come down naturally.

@Marc wrote:
Yeah said:
The 12 to 6 was actually over several weeks. It was 8 last week so the last adjustment two weeks ago was too much. The ca doser has been off for I guess over 4 days already. Maybe once the alk starts going back up the ca will start going back down.

Thank you :)

So I found out tonight the issue with the alkalinity. As I was changing the filter sock out tonight I noticed the alk drip tube was behind the back of the tank. Apparently last week when I changed the filter sock and I flipped the fan up out of the way, I must have hit the tube and knocked it out of the holder. Luckily I've been manually dosing to "boost" the auto dose instead of just upping the dosage frequency and relying on the automation.

As of yesterday the calcium was down to 440 and I started back the dosing but lowered it by 10 ml per day, alk was at 8. I still have to test them again tonight.

The moved frags to the 60g were fine until a snail bumped the pavona which hit three of the large blue tort frags. I've had that Pavona since 2008 and I don't think I ever saw sweeper tentacles, but now it's just flat mad. It fried all three of the tort frags that were about 4-5" each, but I managed to cut one 3/4" frag and two tiny 1/4" frags before all three pieces bleached. And I had to cut the tip of the Pavona that hit the tort as it was bleaching as well.