RO system side not working

debdp

Premium Member
For some reason water isn't coming out of the RO system, only the waste water.

The unit is a Melev's 100 gpd. The filters are chloramine filters from Filter Guys. I started noticing the TDS reading coming from the RO wasn't dropping past 17...it used to always go down to at least 4 sometimes lower. Filter Guys recommended I use a 75gpd membrane instead of 100gpd membrane as it was more efficient.

<u>End of May</u> I had purchased a Chloramine package and replaced all the RO filters.
<u>June 22</u> I replaced the DI resin cartridge.
<u>1st week of July</u> replaced the 100gpd membrane with a 75gpd membrane.

I only make about 30/40 gallons of salt mix a week and fill the RO/DI top off water about 5 gallons or so a week. So after all the filter and membrane replacements as of 3 weeks ago the water stopped coming out of the RO side completely. Since I had purchased a 75gpd unit for the kitchen for drinking water I've been able to just run a line from the kitchen to the DI filter in the wash room for making water. The TDS reading from that system gives me a 3 out of the RO and 0 out of the DI.

I've taken the whole 100gpd system apart, checked the lines, replaced some. Checked the membrane again and openings for blockage. I can't figure out why it's not sending water out. Could the membrane be bad after only a month? The previous 100gpd membrane was only in for 1 year before I replaced it. But even after 5-6 months of use I noticed the TDS readings steadily climbing from 7 to 19 before I replaced it with the 75gpd membrane. Oh, another thing I noticed about 6 months or so ago, when I turn the water off on the hose splitter (one to washing machine, one to RO/Di unit) it actually doesn't cut off of completely, so I started turning the valve off leading to the RO system as well.

What else should I look for to troubleshoot this system?

Thanks.

@hydro wrote:
Did you replace the restrictor? the 75 takes a different one than the 100. HTH Joe said:
+1
The restrictor has to have a matched restrictor as well or you will have varying production rates which then makes it a lot more inefficient than the 100GPD unit's. This isn't your issue but something to keep in mind. You can try taking the membrane out to see if water is produced or take the filters out one by one and see if water is produced.

Cheers,

You never sent me a message asking for help, right?

It sounds like you have a couple of issues. If it doesn't shut off when fully pressurized, the ASOV may need to be replaced. This device works off water pressure, and forces a piston forward to stop water from entering the system, and it shuts off. When off, the system is silent.

Take the red tubing out of the RO housing on the left side of the system, and point it into a 2-liter bottle. Turn on the water, and see if it fills the bottle within 60 seconds. This is a good way to easily measure water pressure without buying a pressure gauge.

Have you referred to my FAQ page? Or the membrane installation page? Odds are the membrane is still good, as was the 100gpd one you had. Like you, my TDS used to measure 3-4 out of the RO, but that changed around Dec/Jan and it comes out between 16 and 20 prior to the DI now. Our source water is being treated chemically due to the drought of 2011.

Membrane and flow restrictor should match, because it applies the correct pressure across the membrane.

A failed check valve could also be the problem, if it is stuck. Or the housing could have small cracks at the end, internally. Any parts you need, I have. PM me.

Thanks Marc. No, I didn't email you, but I did go over your site to make sure I had everything connected properly and read through it.

I'll do those checks in the morning and go from there. If I need anything I'll let you know.

[smilie=smile.gif]

Since I had a backup 75gpd RO unit I've just been using that. But I had some time and just started playing with this one. So after disconnecting and checking flow one tube at a time, the flow is great until it comes to the blue hose coming out from the membrane before going through the ASOV. I removed the blue hose from the membrane housing and the water just barely drips out, but the waste water is gushing out. So I'm going back to the 100gpd membrane and let them know what happened.

Thanks everyone. As soon as I get the new membrane and get it hooked up I'll post the results here, hopefully that resolves the issue.

Oh, I also removed the check valve and it's working fine...without it on the housing the water still just barely drips out.

Let me know if you need anything. I've not received any email or PMs from you about this.

Marc