66 Gallon Build

debdp

Premium Member
It's official now, a deposit has been made. Since Next Wave I've been making inquiries, decisions, changes and now it's finally going through. I'm replacing my 30 gallon tank with the side by side refugium ( http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=53424&start=80 ).

Based on a lot of the good comments made I chose to go with Yuki at Aquarium Boutique and get a tank made by Planet Aquarium. The new tank dimensions are 35" long x 19" deep x 23" tall.

Today I removed the 36" steel 2 drawer file cabinet that's under the current tank, and removed the carpet and padding. I need to start prepping the area for the sump so I can figure out what size sump to get made.

And a few more pictures.

[attachment=0]66 gal tank build 4.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]66 gal tank build 5.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]66 gal tank build 6.jpg[/attachment]

And those hoses draped across coming out of the hole from the closet going under the cabinet are water top off, alk and calcium drip lines going around the room to the tank holding my corals.

Now I just wait for the tank. :)

So had a conversation last week with Planet Aquarium to answer some questions they had from all the pictures I sent. So based on the space and how they build the tank, the dimensions are changing for length and depth instead of 35x19x23 tall, it will be 36x18x23 tall. The space is 36 1/4 inches and their glass comes at 36". But this won't allow for trim on top. Instead, since I do want the glass cover, they'll put trim inside to hold the glass top. If I understood him correctly there is trim on the bottom and at 19 inches plus trim it will come off the edge of the desk. He said the tank should be ready like Tuesday this week (that's today [smilie=smile.gif] ). So I called Yuki to let him know when they said it would be ready and reminded him I need it delivered. So he said end of the week he can bring it out. Soon I'll be able to post the picture of an empty tank.

I missed a phone call so my tank got sent back :( ...just Yuki making sure that everything was right. So it should be here this coming week. But that gives me time for a few other things.

I didn't want to put a cabinet over the tank as it just held in too much heat and made tank access awkward. So I came up with the idea of using something to diffuse the light and hide the lighting fixtures but still leave it somewhat open. So I took the 11x14 picture of my Royal Gramma and sandwiched it between black acrylic and non-reflective acrylic. That is mounted onto a 22x32 frosted acrylic sheet. The picture is lightweight and easy to remove from the hanging cables for tank cleaning and maintenance. Without the tank though I'm not sure if the hanging height is okay. I tried to cut the black acrylic with a jigsaw blade made for acrylic, but messed it up and the edges are chipped. So I have another piece cut to the size I want ordered and will switch them out.

[attachment=0]Pic light off.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Pic with light.jpg[/attachment]