Losses

debdp

Premium Member
My male mandarin became ill which progressively got worse on Tuesday. Wednesday when I could finally catch him as he was too weak to run, I QT him in a breeder tank in the main tank. In doing so I moved my SPS frag rack over to make room for the small breeder tank. The male died that afternoon. I removed the breeder tank but left the corals not paying attention to their positions. The next morning my Garf bonsai was bleached and the Turaki touching it was half bleached by last night it was totally bleached. Today another turaki frag that was touching the now dead turaki frag is bleaching. The turaki has touched other SPS corals before with no adverse affects but something about the chemical reaction between the Garf bonsai and the turaki created a problem. I thought maybe it was something with water chemistry but all other SPS on the same rack not touching those are doing well. I'm hugely upset about losing my male mandarin. He would have turned four years old this October. I've kept in touch with ORA since I purchased him, keeping them updated on both the female and male's progress the past three years. The female is doing quite well, but I am closely watching her.

I'm not sure. He started acting very quiet a few weeks ago but then when I tried to approach he would take off and then I would see him swimming around normally and eating. But each day he was less and less active, yet still from time to time out and about and eating. He began having buoyancy problems this week and would be slightly head down, tail up. I also started noticing 'bubbles/swelling' one in front of each pectoral fin and on either side of his dorsal fin (four slightly enlarged areas). In the breeder tank I actually had to put items above and to the side of him to keep him from just floating tail up or upside down, just trying to keep him stable and as comfortable as I could.