Evil Evil Shrimp

debdp

Premium Member
Sometime back I picked up a bunch of peppermints to help deal with the aiptasia. They tortured the darn things by picking off their tentacles but left the aiptasia body there. :( These shrimp are the reddest peppermints I've ever seen, as red as a fire shrimp but a bit more translucent. One day I noticed my plate coral was losing tissue and I didn't know why... that night I saw the shrimp having his nightly meal of plate coral. So I started keeping a bottle top over the coral at night. Here's a pic I grabbed tonight of this PIA trying to get under the bottle to get to his dinner.

[attachment=0]8 27 11 Evil Shrimp DSC01455.jpg[/attachment]

@etphi wrote:
Yeah some shrimps tend to be just straight up mean. What do you plan to do with it? said:
Nothing. It's just doing what's natural. You have to expect something that will eat aiptasia will most likely eat the tissue of other corals. He/she has no taste for my other plate coral, goes up to it, touches it and crawls off, but it does like to torture aiptasia [smilie=clapping.gif] so I'll just keep my orange plate covered. I've actually had to put an alarm reminder on my phone to put the bottle top on...I forgot two nights ago and the area that had almost completely healed the shrimp picked at it before I realized the lights were out. I had to smack it a few times with a bamboo skewer to get it off.

@DennisF wrote:
You should have used that skewer for shrimp on the barbe! [smilie=lol.gif] said:
Honestly, there was a part of me that for a brief second thought about it.

Yeah. In my last setup i had 3 peppermints and they would clip the tentacles of my large rose anemone. Pesky things.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk