Totally frustrated - aiptasia

debdp

Premium Member
So I have tried multiple ways to kill off aiptasia. In my NPS when I moved everything to the 30g, I took a knife and carved them out of the rock before transferring and then covered the spot with epoxy. In that tank they haven't come back. But I still have problems in my SPS holding tank.

Yesterday I decided it was war on three large aiptasia, one which is damaging my rainbow monti. I purchased over a year ago the Majano wand and so far it's not done anything for aiptasia. I used it yesterday four times on the aiptasia and at least six on the one by the monti. This morning they're all bright eyed and out, in fact, the one next to the monti looks like it's 3 now, just looks weird. I've tried a couple different liquid aiptasia killers none of which have worked. I think at this point my best bet now is for at least the rock holding my sunset and rainbow monti is feed them liquid aiptasia stuff, take the rock out, fill the hole with super glue and cover it with epoxy and hope that does the trick.

Anybody else have a better suggestion?

Yes,
Get you one of these. This is my terminator. No aptasia in the display anymore. I do have some in the sump, so I guess that gives him some food when they move up top.

The copper banded buttery fly fish is reef safe with caution. My new terminator I have now that replaced the one I lost during a tank move will not allow me to own an open brain coral, scoly, or trach. This is the first one I have had like that. I just took them all out and of course no issues. I have all kinds of LPS and closed brains, chalices, no issues. Zoo's are fine. The other copper banded butterfly's I had did not bother anything.

berghia nudibranch worked wonders in my tank. They killed them all in less then a month.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

@TheReeferBoss wrote:
That sucks I'm looking forward on getting some scolys in my tank. :)- said:
Well there is no guaranty that they will bother anything. Sounds like you don't have any potential coral conflicts right now and you are still totally frustrated with the aiptasia and looking for a good way to get rid of your problem. [smilie=thinking.gif]

I've had good luck with peppermint shrimp. It is hit and miss with them though. I've had some that did not have a taste for aptasia.

Order 10 of the nudi's. Yes, it's not cheap, but they can wage a serious war. Then buy a CBB or some peppermint shrimp. The nudi's can start the fight and while most of them out, and the others will keep them from coming back.

This tank is way too small for a CBB since this temp tank is only 10 gallons with a fussy Midas blenny. The peppermints I've had that do eat them, torture them by just eating most of the tentacles and then when they grow back, do it again. I've never tried kalk paste. I thought about nudi's before but was afraid of them getting caught in pump and I would never keep one long term. I think I'll try the kalk paste for starters and since I don't have any peppermints I'll pick up a couple of those this week. I'm not sure if I'll try the nudi's or not just yet. Thanks.

I only needed 4 nudis in my 105 and one came dead so really it was only 3 of them.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

@debdp wrote:
This tank is way too small for a CBB since this temp tank is only 10 gallons with a fussy Midas blenny. The peppermints I've had that do eat them said:
I would go with the nudi's. I tried the calc paste before with no success. It gets rid of them temporarly. The smaller the tank you have the bigger ph/alk swing you will get from that method.

@Drew wrote:
Order 10 of the nudi's. Yes said:
This is the exact path I took and it wiped out a tank full of apts. one exception tho, I got a copperband and some peppermint shrimp. I had them on every rock in my 210, including the back wall and within a couple months I was free of them. 100% gone, I couldn't believe it after fighting them for almost a year.

@Wes wrote:
[I]@Drew wrote:[/I][quote="Order 10 of the nudi's. Yes said:
This is the exact path I took and it wiped out a tank full of apts. one exception tho, I got a copperband and some peppermint shrimp. I had them on every rock in my 210, including the back wall and within a couple months I was free of them. 100% gone, I couldn't believe it after fighting them for almost a year."]

What happened to the nudi's when the ap was gone?