Search results

1. D

6ft long 70 gallon tank

Just picked up my 72"x16"x14" rimless 70 gallon with a pvc bottom. It has two 1" drains and a 3/4" return. Its built by planet aquariums and I got it at aquarium botique. I finally have some swimming room for my yellow tang. Im going to add another maxspect razor to the one I already have...
  2. D

RODI hooked up to washer.....help

I have always hooked my rodi up to my sink in the kitchen when ever I used it. I am moving into my new house this weekend and want to hook it up to my laundry room/washing machine spicket. Im assuming I need to buy some plumbing parts but I dont know what. Anyone have any pics or some advice?
  3. D

Rare tang pics

I'm in Orlando for a few days and decided to go visit an LFS by my moms house. It's called living reef. I miss the stores from Florida. Lots of really nice $10 frags. I wish I could get some but I'm not sure checking bags with coral will work. They had two pretty rare tangs In the store...
  4. D

DavegG99's glss box of colored sticks

Just picked up my new tank today. Its a 32"x24"x14" (43gallons) rimless tank with beveled edges, PVC bottom, black vinyl put on the back, and it has a glass holes 700gph overflow and 3/4 return. I will be running a 20gallon sump in the custom stand that I have already built. I currently have a...
  5. D

Slip or threaded bulkheads?

Which do you use and why do you prefer it?
  6. D

magnets for doors on stand

I am building my stand for my 13 gallon cube tank this weekend. This will be the 3rd stand I have built. Every other time its been a traditional stand with doors. This time Im doing it with a modern style to it and I want the entire front panel to come off. Thinking about attaching the top of...
  7. D

Heatsink with side panels to hide LED's

Why doesnt a manufacturer make some heat sinks and add some nice side pieces so that the heat sink can be used as a fixture without having to modify it? I know lots of people do this themselves but side panels that are built into the heat sink sure would look nice and make things easier. I...
  8. D

I have red bugs.

anyone have anything that gets rid of them? I could use some if someone does.
  9. D

16"x16"x12" custom rimless 13 gallon

I have been out of the reefing game for quite some time. I think its been 2-3 years. Some may remember me some may not. I still have a shallow rimless ~60 gallon DSA tank sitting in my garage waiting to be filled with water but that wont happen for atleast another year. Im still in an...
  10. D

a little rimless eye candy

My tank is the taller one. 32"x24"x15" 50 gallons Josh's (Hoss) tank is a 32"x24"x12" Build log coming soon alt=""> alt=""> alt="">
  11. D

auto top off questions

I guess I should attend the meeting tonight since the topic is about this. But the MAVS are on TV tonight! I plan on getting this unit for my auto top off http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/ alt=""> I am also going to get the run dry protection as show here...
  12. D

Auto Top Off question

I have never used a auto top off. I plan on installing one very soon though. Do the kits such as the JBJ kit have a sensor that shuts the pump off if the top off container is empty? Wouldnt want the pump to keep pumping if the top off container was empty. Also should I DIY it or buy a kit...
  13. D

Longest you have gone without feeding fish

I have gone 3 days without feeding my fish while I was out of town. I have a yellow tang, sixline wrasse, and a clown. The wrasse and the tang can find stuff to eat on their own but I dont think the clown has that ability (not sure). I plan on leaving for a 5 day mini vacation and was...
  14. D

Solar tubes for reef lighting

Has anyone done this around here yet? I read a thread over on reef central ( http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1457056&perpage=25&pagenumber=1 ) that was about some guy in San Antonio who did this. It seems to work well. Im in the commercial roofing business and we...
  15. D

problem fitting T5's in my canopy

My 40 breeder is current running one 175 MH bulb and parabolic reflector pictured here... alt=""> I want to add 2 T5's to add supplimental lighting. My problem is the reflector runs the full 18" from front to back. If I turned the reflector sideways it would work because I could run 36"...
  16. D

pairing a black Ocellaris clown with "normal" colored one

I have though about pairing a Black Ocellaris clownfish with a normal Orange colored Ocellaris clownfish. In theory you would think they don;t know what color they are and it should work fine. I have also seen this done in a persons tank and it was fine. Anyone object to this?
  17. D

how long to run metal halide

I have one 175 watt MH over my 40 breeder. How long should I run it for. Right now I have it set for about 7-8 hours.
  18. D

what fan for the canopy?

I am about done with my DIY canopy. I still need to stain it and install the light. Im going to be using one 175 watt Iwasaki 15000k MH bulb and a reflector. I need to figure out what fan to use. Are computer fans good or should I use a small clip on from walmart or something. Here are pics...
  19. D

How to silence a drain

I just set up my 10 gal sump under my 40 breeder. I have a Quiet One 2200 which is 581gph. I used to have this sump under my other 40 gallon tank and it was fine using the HOB overflow. The water is draining into the sump and its cming down fast! Its making bubbles and just too much overall...
  20. D

How to make drain more quiet

I just set up my 10 gal sump under my 40 breeder. I have a Quiet One 2200 which is 581gph. I used to have this sump under my other 40 gallon tank and it was fine using the HOB overflow. The water is draining into the sump and its cming down fast! Its making bubbles and just too much overall...