Auto Top Off question

I have never used a auto top off. I plan on installing one very soon though. Do the kits such as the JBJ kit have a sensor that shuts the pump off if the top off container is empty? Wouldnt want the pump to keep pumping if the top off container was empty.

Also should I DIY it or buy a kit? Im thinking I can make my own kit with a pump, 3 float switches, and a plug. What else is there to an auto top off kit?

Most, not all, of the ATO kits come with two sensors that can be setup in multiple ways. Usually its 1 sensor in the tank/sump and one in the holding tank. The holding tank is one that floats up to stay on, powering the device and when the tank/sump one is low it fills. This is I think the better mode/setup to run because if your water drains too far it will power itself off.

Other methods are a dual min/max. Basically two floats a few inches from each other that will fill when one is exposed and stop when the other is triggered.

The other method is a single switch... and probably the most risky that triggers when the level is low.

I've seen setups with one switch in the holding tank as a safety catch that is on when submerged it powers a min/max combo in the tank/sump.

Regardless of which system or method you use there are two things you will want to avoid doing...

Having a holding tank with more water than can safely go into the tank at once.

Doing anything that ties directly into an RO/DI unit.

well the reason I ask is because Im going on a 5 day vacation next month. I think im going to put a 5 gallon bucket on a chair in front of the tank with the doors open. I only evaporate 1/2 gallon a day. Ill install a float switch valve that allows the water from the bucket to flow into the sump when the water level goes down. I think this is safer for when Im away on vacation.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20412

Up to you.. either option comes with a risk.. there is not 100% safe ATO other than manual and even that can experience problems from time to time.

Ive had my JBJ ATO running for two weeks now and i like it, except that i have it set up with a single sensor and it always makes a buzzing sound to let me know that its filling the tank again. It does this several times a day....especially when i finally get my daughter to sleep :evil: :evil: :evil: I did how ever go to bed, bath and beyond and found a small acrylic container with a lid for $8 that holds just under a gallon to use as a reservoir. i just drilled a hole in the lid for the aqua lifter to pick up tube. then i cut a small section out of the rear to mount the new float switch. the new set up kills the aqua lifter if the reservoir runs too low. It also is makes a noise when the reservoir runs low. I only keep about a half a gallon at a time which give me about a weeks worth for my bio cube 14

The JBJ ATO has a switch to turn off the activity sound and a potentiometer to control the fill duration located inside the controller.

I'll open it up this weekend and check it out! By adding the reservoir it seems to only buzz about once every 9 days or so. I check it about once a week so it hasnt buzzed in about 9 days or so.

Dave,

Check out www.autotopoff.com

This is were I got my pump and float switches from. I even got one of my brackets from them, but made the others out of acrylic. About 70 bucks will get you everything you need.

Another option for a 5-day vacation is to just overfill your sump with RODI. Obviously, depending on how big your tank is, it wouldn't be good if this made your SG drop too low, but you may find that the added RODI may not affect it that much. Just do some quick math to verify it. As the water evaporates over the 5 days, your SG will just slowly rise.

As has already mentioned, every approach has risks, and another risk to this option is if you had a power-outage while your sump water level was still higher than normal. Might cause a small flood. :)

I have the Tunze ATO and love it. It has an alarm that sounds if it over fills and it also shuts off the top off pump.

When I go on vacation I usually lower the duration of my metal halides so the water heats up less. This allows me to turn off one of the fans which means less water is evaporated. With all 3 of my fans going my 75gal tank goes thru 1 to 2 gallons a day. With only 1 fan going I can go about a week on my 5 gal reservoir.

@BPKlein wrote:
this is all i use they are great products i run a dual switch on one setup and triple switch on another (third switch turns off the pump if topoff water container gets below the switch so the topoff pump does not run dry

it is called

Run-dry Protection Upgrade:

it is under "custom" tab on their website

@Opus wrote:
I have the Tunze ATO and love it. It has an alarm that sounds if it over fills and it also shuts off the top off pump. When I go on vacation I usually lower the duration of my metal halides so the water heats up less. This allows me to turn off one of the fans which means less water is evaporated. With all 3 of my fans going my 75gal tank goes thru 1 to 2 gallons a day. With only 1 fan going I can go about a week on my 5 gal reservoir. said:
I have the Tunze Osmolator as well and I really like it as well - used for ~15 months now!
It uses an infrared sensor with a float switch as backup.

The JBJ ATO is crap. I wouldn't bother. I had 3 fail in the first month. I had replacements sent. It worked great for about 5 more months and then just today it crapped out. The controller itself just doesn't turn on.