16"x16"x12" custom rimless 13 gallon

I have been out of the reefing game for quite some time. I think its been 2-3 years. Some may remember me some may not. I still have a shallow rimless ~60 gallon DSA tank sitting in my garage waiting to be filled with water but that wont happen for atleast another year. Im still in an apartment and wont set it up until I get a house. So I decided to set up a small nano. I figure my 2.5 year old would enjoy a little tank. She really enjoys aquariums. Plus I miss having a reef tank. I have a reef tank supply grave yard in my garage and plan on using a few things from there on this tank. I have already ordered the tank, filter system, and a couple other things. This tank is going to sit on my counter that splits the kitchen and the living room. I plan on putting SPS in it as well as some zoas and maybe a couple LPS. Its also probably going to be bare bottom so I can crank up the flow with the mp10. Everything should be in by next week. I will be starting it with fresh live rock for a short cycle. Probably wont need more than 10-15 lbs of rock.

The tank: Mr Aqua 12" rimless cube 7.5 gallons - reasonably priced nano tank that looks great
http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Cube_Frameless_Glass_Aquarium_Tank_Cube-Mr._Aqua-AZ1133-FIAQRC-vi.html

Lighting: rapidLED 7 bulb Par38 - (not sure yet but thats what Im thinking. Still dont know how Im going to hang it but Im sure I can find a nice fixture to use.
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-141/7-LED-PAR38-Bulb/Detail
7_led_par_38_small.jpg
alt="">

Filtration: Aquaclear 70 with intank media basket and submersible LEDlight for fuge - Ill probably use a filter floss too.
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-70-Media-Basket-AC70MR.htm
9fxwyx.jpg
alt="">

flow: vortech MP10 -should be plenty of flow and I have one from my old tank.

If you choose to use a Par 30 bulb check out this hanging kit: http://www.boostled.com/collections/par30-reef/products/reef-lamp-lamp-clamp

Maybe someone else knows of something similar for a par 38? That was my plan for a 12" cube but I'm not sure on a par 30's ability to keep SPS. You would be able to high and center, but I doubt around the edges and lower.

Yeah I pretty much learned everything I know about LED's in the past week or so of researching. Things sure have changed a lot in the past few years. Another option I considered was using a panorama Pro by ecoxotic. Not sure if its powerful enough though and they are out of stock. Im excited about using LED's.

I agree with matt, go with the boostled clamp light. I just ordered 2 of them for my friends 8 gal rimless and they make the tank look alot nicer than just using a home depot clamp light. Unless you can suspend the bulbs above, I think this is the best looking way of fixing your lights to the tank. Keeps it looking really clean, which is something that you want with a rimless tank. They're really powerful leds but like matt also said the coverage might not be as wide with the par30 bulbs as with par38. That's why we ended up buying 2 sets for my friends tank.

Home depot and lowes also have nice hanging lights. Good luck and nice seeing you back in the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already ordered the tank but I'm thinking I might do a 16"x16"x12" custom. I sent David a pm and might have him build one. I think he is still building tanks right? I can always sell the 12" cube or keep it for later

Yes he is still turning them out. I ordered a 72" x 18" x 14" from him just recently!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it looks like Im going 16"x16"x12" custom built. I think the added room and water volume will make things nicer.

Any way to change the title of this thread to ? (16"x16"x12" custom rimless 13 gallon)

Ordered the RapidLED par38 bulb today with 80 degree optics. Im looking forward to seeing this bulb. Im going to hang it from the ceiling in a fixture from ikea. Should be pretty bright with 7 CREE 3w led's.

My tank should be done in less than 2 weeks. I can't wait for the black PVC bottom! Got a aqua clear 70 bought the intank media basket thing. Got a hydor 50watt heater, Purigen, filter floss, submersible fuge light. Bought two light fixtures from ikea today. Should I order another rapid led par38 7 led bulb? I got one on it's way but I'm thinking maybe I should buy another for $75.

I got a large sheet of black vinyl sticker stuff and it was so hard to put on without bubbles. I tried three times and said screw this I'm painting it. So I went to home depot and got some rustoleum black plastic paint. Put two light coats on the back and it's currently drying. Ill be filling it with water in the morning. The paint looks pretty good IMO.

1884de96.jpg
alt="">

We have water in the new tank! Just got it done. Going to go pick up another piece of liverock off a local reefer and a few crabs and snails. I still need to figure out where to put all the wires. I might just put everything in a plastic container and set it on the floor in the kitchen for now. I also need to find some cheato.

front view
fe079333.jpg
alt="">

living room view
95125dc6.jpg
alt="">

kitchen view
7aab4a87.jpg
alt="">

added some more live rock from a local reefer's tank. He gave me 4-5 snails and a couple red monti frags with the rock. One piece has a couple zoas on it too. I also got a emerald crab and a few hermits. I need to raise the light up about 3 inches and I need to center it. Right now its at the position that was best for the 12" cube.

Its really hard to get a good picture of LED's with an iphone 3Gs.
f1588fb6.jpg
alt="">

fa43f560.jpg
alt="">

1473a058.jpg
alt="">

The tank after raising the light a few inches and securing it into A piece of wood.
fe37bf6d.jpg
alt="">

My Aquascape
fb1024c0.jpg
alt="">

I bought a piece of hard wood and painted it white and screwed it into the studs. Then attached a hook to the wood. I would have added wood above the drywall but can't in an apartment. And that's my Jim beam and coke on the counter.
5d1e66c1.jpg
alt="">

@bettalover wrote:
looks great why not go with a bent conduit pipe to act as an arm for the light? said:
I prefer the look of it hanging from the ceiling and bending conduit and hanging this bulb from it would be more work.

picked up 5 different SPS corals today from Joe. Thanks Joe! Got a ORA green birds nest, pink birds nest, a purple monti frag, and two SPS frags I cant remember the names to. I also had a couple red monti frags and 2 polyps of some green zoas. Some pics took with my phone. Still havent got the camera back from Florida.

2a67fda0.jpg
alt="">

fe37bf6d.jpg
alt="">

c69cd706.jpg
alt="">

853de94d.jpg
alt="">

dd1a6faf.jpg
alt="">

fb5ea5d1.jpg
alt="">