auto top off questions

I guess I should attend the meeting tonight since the topic is about this. But the MAVS are on TV tonight!

I plan on getting this unit for my auto top off
http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

DS01_resize.JPG
alt="">

I am also going to get the run dry protection as show here
http://www.autotopoff.com/custom/

I plan on having the top off container sitting level with the sump. It might be a bit taller though.

My questions:

1. should I use an old MJ that I have laying around for the top off pump or should I get an aqualifter?

2. How do you guys prevent a siphon from starting? Should I make the part that dumps the water into the sump out of PVC and drill a siphon break hole like you would on a return when using a HOB overflow?

1. I use a MJ 400 on the JBJ ATO
2. The hose connected to the sump is out of the water, it makes some noise the 5-10 seconds it runs, but no worry about siphon or other issues.

@Charlie wrote:
1. I use a MJ 400 on the JBJ ATO 2. The hose connected to the sump is out of the water said:
it will siphon if the top off container is above the sump though. Ill just have to make sure it stays lower than the sump. In my 6-7 years of salt tanks I have never used an auto top off. Should be exciting once its running.

Oh and BTW I just order the one I mentioned.

i use an aqualifter. never had a problem with siphon and it is above the sump water.

you wont have back siphon as the end of the tubing should not be in the sump water i have mine hanging over my sump

I have those same float switches, and they've been working flawlessly for over a year now.

For a pump, I use a MicroJet pump - it's nice and slow, and also doesn't mind being run dry. It hasn't happened often, but maybe a couple times I'd forget to fill my reservoir and it would be over there sucking air. Still fine though.

I also have my tubing setup like kuyatwo describes - it's hanging above my sump. As long as the output of the tubing is higher than the highest possible water level in the reservoir, there shouldn't be any siphon.