Recent content by DaveG99

1. D

6ft long 70 gallon tank

Just picked up my 72"x16"x14" rimless 70 gallon with a pvc bottom. It has two 1" drains and a 3/4" return. Its built by planet aquariums and I got it at aquarium botique. I finally have some swimming room for my yellow tang. Im going to add another maxspect razor to the one I already have...
  2. D

RODI hooked up to washer.....help

I have always hooked my rodi up to my sink in the kitchen when ever I used it. I am moving into my new house this weekend and want to hook it up to my laundry room/washing machine spicket. Im assuming I need to buy some plumbing parts but I dont know what. Anyone have any pics or some advice?
  3. D

Rare tang pics

I'm in Orlando for a few days and decided to go visit an LFS by my moms house. It's called living reef. I miss the stores from Florida. Lots of really nice $10 frags. I wish I could get some but I'm not sure checking bags with coral will work. They had two pretty rare tangs In the store...
  4. D

DavegG99's glss box of colored sticks

Just picked up my new tank today. Its a 32"x24"x14" (43gallons) rimless tank with beveled edges, PVC bottom, black vinyl put on the back, and it has a glass holes 700gph overflow and 3/4 return. I will be running a 20gallon sump in the custom stand that I have already built. I currently have a...
  5. D

Slip or threaded bulkheads?

Which do you use and why do you prefer it?
  6. D

magnets for doors on stand

I am building my stand for my 13 gallon cube tank this weekend. This will be the 3rd stand I have built. Every other time its been a traditional stand with doors. This time Im doing it with a modern style to it and I want the entire front panel to come off. Thinking about attaching the top of...
  7. D

Heatsink with side panels to hide LED's

Why doesnt a manufacturer make some heat sinks and add some nice side pieces so that the heat sink can be used as a fixture without having to modify it? I know lots of people do this themselves but side panels that are built into the heat sink sure would look nice and make things easier. I...
  8. D

I have red bugs.

anyone have anything that gets rid of them? I could use some if someone does.
  9. D

16"x16"x12" custom rimless 13 gallon

I have been out of the reefing game for quite some time. I think its been 2-3 years. Some may remember me some may not. I still have a shallow rimless ~60 gallon DSA tank sitting in my garage waiting to be filled with water but that wont happen for atleast another year. Im still in an...
  10. D

a little rimless eye candy

My tank is the taller one. 32"x24"x15" 50 gallons Josh's (Hoss) tank is a 32"x24"x12" Build log coming soon alt=""> alt=""> alt="">
  11. D

auto top off questions

I guess I should attend the meeting tonight since the topic is about this. But the MAVS are on TV tonight! I plan on getting this unit for my auto top off http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/ alt=""> I am also going to get the run dry protection as show here...
  12. D

Auto Top Off question

I have never used a auto top off. I plan on installing one very soon though. Do the kits such as the JBJ kit have a sensor that shuts the pump off if the top off container is empty? Wouldnt want the pump to keep pumping if the top off container was empty. Also should I DIY it or buy a kit...
  13. D

Longest you have gone without feeding fish

I have gone 3 days without feeding my fish while I was out of town. I have a yellow tang, sixline wrasse, and a clown. The wrasse and the tang can find stuff to eat on their own but I dont think the clown has that ability (not sure). I plan on leaving for a 5 day mini vacation and was...
  14. D

Solar tubes for reef lighting

Has anyone done this around here yet? I read a thread over on reef central ( http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1457056&perpage=25&pagenumber=1 ) that was about some guy in San Antonio who did this. It seems to work well. Im in the commercial roofing business and we...
  15. D

problem fitting T5's in my canopy

My 40 breeder is current running one 175 MH bulb and parabolic reflector pictured here... alt=""> I want to add 2 T5's to add supplimental lighting. My problem is the reflector runs the full 18" from front to back. If I turned the reflector sideways it would work because I could run 36"...