Search results

1. M

Arduino for Steve's LED

I just finished up an Arduino project where I used PWM to control Steve's LED's. All and all it only cost me about $30-40 and now I have a very nice sweep cycle. I can freely issue the code if anyone is interested. The timers are hard coded, but it is very easy to change. Additionally I...
  2. M

Just switched to Maxspect / Coral Vue Gyre

I got the email that the Maxspect Gyre was released for sale last weekend and I just couldn't help myself... Well yesterday it came in and it is up and running... WOW! It might not be for all tanks, but I am really liking it on mine! I was running 2x MP40's on a 48x24x18 (LxWxH) at 60%. I am...
  3. M

Jason Fox Bug Out / Insane Stylo

I was curious if anyone has seen these corals it in person? The photos look really good, but I never feel like Stylo's actually look that good in person. Bug Out Stylo: http://www.jasonfoxsignaturecorals.com/product_p/sps-22.htm Insane Stylo: (However, it doesn't really look like a stylo...
  4. M

Sunscreen Pill from Coral

"StumbleUpon"ed this article today and thought I would share. Scientist are looking to coral in order to make a pill that could protect us from the sun. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/aug/31/sunscreen-pill-coral-five-years Mitch
  5. M

ID - Clam Mussel Oyster?

The other day I noticed my Yellow Tang clearing off some algae and didn't think anything off it and then all of a sudden I see something move. Sticking out of a patch of zoa's looks like a clam, muscle or oyster. I cleared off the zoas and reviled a shelled creature approximately 1/2". I can...
  6. M

Rock Positioning

My tank is currently setup with all the rock in the center of the tank so that there is a clear path behind the rocks. I was thinking of pushing it all back against the glass to give a little more swimming room. How is everyone arranging their rocks? Mitch
  7. M

Fish and Coral in Mozambique, Africa

Hey everyone, I am currently in Mozambique, Africa for work and I thought I would tell you guys about some of the thing I saw a few days ago. I was walking through the tide pools and I stared coming across some urchins (thousands), blenny's and favia's. What I was amazed about was how shallow...
  8. M

PH and home occupancy

This Thanksgiving I was out of my house for 3 days or so and when I returned I noticed that my PH was up to 8.45 which is the highest my tank has ever gotten (I am usually around 7.9 - 8.2. I check my parameters and everything was still in my normal ranges (I dose 2 part). By the next day it...
  9. M

Switch from T5 HO to Metal Halide

Hey guys, I found a good deal on a Metal Halide setup today and thought I would go for it. I am currently running 8x T5 HO with ATI 2x Purple Pluse 2x AquaBlue and 4x Blue Plus. My new setup is 2x 175W 14K Metal Halides. Mogul type (no additional UV shielding is needed right?) Now I know I...
  10. M

DIY ATO for < $50

Hey everyone, I figured I would put my schooling to work and build my own auto top off (ATO). The logic to an ATO system is very simple however the systems I see out there are very expensive. I included 2 switches for redundancy and a timer. The timer is actually my favorite part and is...
  11. M

Video: Coral being eaten

Video of unknown bugs eating my Green Slimer. (also noticed a few on my Jesus Echinata) I had a similar problem a few months ago so I did 2 rounds of interceptor and it seemed to help. Anyone have any ideas what these are? They don't look like red bugs; more like pods of some sort. I first...
  12. M

SRBTA Bubble or Long Tentacle ?

I have a SRBTA (actually 3... won't stop splitting and can't get to their foot) that I got from one of the members here and was always curious why it was called a bubble tip, because the most common ones look like long tentacle anemones. After about 2 months mine changed from the typical 3-6"...
  13. M

Favia ate his Wheaties this morning.

Looked at my favia this morning and snapped a picture. Never seen it like this before and returned to normal in about 10 minutes.
  14. M

Dosing Technique Help - Calling all Dosers

Hello All, I have just purchased 3x dosing pumps for my 90Gallon. The plan is to use them in the following configuration: -Calcium (maybe mix in some strontium and magnesium?) -Buffer -Auto Top off I know I will need to determine my absortion rates and apply that to my dosing quantity and...
  15. M

Skimmer and PhosBan Reactor

The short and sweet: My skimmer has stopped producing skimmate after adding a new PhosBan Reactor running ROWAphos. I have been running a AquaC EV180 for the last 2 months and I have been somewhat pleased with it; however, it doesn't seem to do what my old Super Skimmer did. For one it...
  16. M

Upgrade: Moving on up!

Upgrade: Moving on up! I have been thinking of upgrading recently; however, it has been difficult to find the right tank. Since this was m 3rd tank purchase I was determined to be very pick. - Footprint of 48" x 24" - Must be drilled for overflow - Minimal amount of scratches - Quality stand...
  17. M

Water Storage - Salt and Top Off

I was curious how everyone stores their water; both top off water (RODI) and premixed saltwater. At minimum I like to mix my saltwater the day before, but most of the time I keep saltwater laying around for emergencies and when I was doing a a lot of drip acclimation. The reason I am curious...
  18. M

Ich Discussion

It seems like there is two schools of thought out there when it comes to ICH. 1. You bring ICH into you tank by some outside source. -Solution: You must eradicate it. 2. ICH is in all tanks and only becomes an issue when a fishes immune system is weak; either due to some other disease or...
  19. M

Anemone with worms?

Hey guys, I have had a Green BTA for about 4 months now and he was perfect for the first two and my clown finally started hosting him. Another month whet by and everything was good. But over the last month he has been opening up less and less and hanging limp with his mouth open. I became...