SRBTA Bubble or Long Tentacle ?

Mitch9192

Membership Expired
I have a SRBTA (actually 3... won't stop splitting and can't get to their foot) that I got from one of the members here and was always curious why it was called a bubble tip, because the most common ones look like long tentacle anemones. After about 2 months mine changed from the typical 3-6" long and thin tentacles to the 2-3" bubbled tentacles. Anyone have any idea why this happens? My only guess is that since I don't feed him he puffs himself so that he has a larger surface area for photosynthesis.

Those of you who have SRBTA's could you chime in oh how yours looks and weather or not you feed it? Also if you have any opinion on what causes the two different looks.

Mitch

no one seems to know for sure why one bubbles or not, they do not always bubble even in the wild. mine has long thin tentacles and i feed it squid once a week or so.

I don't feed mine and it splits every month and has bubble on the tips. Mine is a Sherman Rose that I picked up from I think his name was Steve the guy that was supposedly named these anemones. I read in Coral magazine the anemones bubble to attract clownfish but who knows. Someone else told me the stronger the light that is when you get bubbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we can get a few others to chime in we might be able to get a correlation. I know more of you have Sherman's...

Long with feeding: 0
Long without feeding: 1 (Wes)
Bubbled with feeding: 0
Bubbled without feeding: 2 (Mitch9192, Kuyatwo)

Mitch

The whole reason I came to the "Anemone" thread was to ask the same question, lol. I got one about three days ago and he had bubbles, then last night he looks like a long tentacle.... I perfer the bubbles [smilie=smile.gif] Since I've had him I have fed him twice.

I've got a sherman as well. I randomly feed mine and it always has long tentacles. Never seen it bubble up at all. I wish I could get mine to split though, cause its huge and hasn't split in over a year.

Sent via Tapatalk

Mine doesn't bubble. Just long tenacles. Maybe Doug "waterbeing" will see this thread and chime in. He has a 120g full of nothing but nems and has another tank that has lots of shermans in it also.

Just got mine last Sun and it immediatly bubbled when placed in the tank. It's a bit bleached but it is always bubbled. Especially in high light. I have 2 175w Iwasaki moguls,1 60" dual t5, and 1 Reefbrite all blue 60" in front. Plenty of light. Some say this has something to do with it, but who really knows ! I've been feeding it mysis and brine soaked amino omega to get it healthier. These are notorious bad shippers.

Those of you who have the SRBTA's and they frequently split, do you ever sell the offspring on the forums? I know a lot of people have these and they split often, but I do not see them for sale much. I've been wanting one but they seem hard to come by.

They typically stay small, bobble more, and split more often under less light. Under bright mh my experience has been that they get big and have Longtentacles

I've had my RBTA for about a month. He has stayed in the same spot since I got him which is ~6" below the water line. He is always bubble when the lights are on (48" 260W Coralife CF), but I don't feel like I have a lot of light. Shows no signs of splitting. I directly feed it some mysis at least once every couple of days.

I haven't had mine too long but sometimes it only bubbles some of it's tentacles, usually I see it happen when I turn off the lights our when clean the tank and it gets slightly upset. The rest if the time it has long tentacles. It gets fed once or twice a week mysis or squid.