Fish and Coral in Mozambique, Africa

Mitch9192

Membership Expired
Hey everyone,

I am currently in Mozambique, Africa for work and I thought I would tell you guys about some of the thing I saw a few days ago. I was walking through the tide pools and I stared coming across some urchins (thousands), blenny's and favia's. What I was amazed about was how shallow the water was and how well the corals looked. I saw a maze brain approximately 9" across and it was so shallow that the top quarter was out of the water during low tide. I have heard some people say that favia's can't handle intense light, but you can't get much more intense then out of the water. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any pictures, but if I get a chance again I will. I am also hoping to go snorkeling later in the week, maybe I will have some more stories then.

Mitch

postpics.gif
alt="">

couldn't resist...sounds like your having a blast

Sorry for the tease... I will try to once I get back to shore as I am on a offshore drilling rig at the moment. This is my first time offshore and it looks like they end up throwing some of the was food into the ocean, which the fish love. There are hundreds of LARGE fish circling the ship all the time. Barracuda, I think. Wouldn't want to fall overboard... as many of them as they are I think they could pick you clean. Every once in a while they find a fish to chase which is quite exciting.

Sorry, no pictures here as it is not allowed.

Mitch

Too bad you can't take pics. Sounds like fun in the sun to me. Enjoy and I hope you get a few pics of the tide pools. What do you do on the rig, if you dont mind me asking?

@chrisrush wrote:
A friend of mine (Steve) is in Mozambique for work. Do you work with a guy named Steve from A&M? said:
WOW! What a small world. He is actually standing 6" away from me. Steve and I are the two design engineers on a prototype we are testing for Halliburton (and a hush falls over over the crowd... We aren't as evil as you hear in the media).

@ReefNut2010 wrote:
Too bad you can't take pics. Sounds like fun in the sun to me. Enjoy and I hope you get a few pics of the tide pools. What do you do on the rig said:
I am not normally offshore, but I am a electrical engineer for Halliburton. I design data acquisition and safety systems. In a nut shell I interface/automate various sensors (temperature, pressure, flow) and solenoids/actuators.

@tj51 wrote:
The thought has crossed my mind, but shipping is really bad here. You would need developed routes and staging areas.

Mitch

@Mitch9192 wrote:
[I]@chrisrush wrote:[/I][quote="A friend of mine (Steve) is in Mozambique for work. Do you work with a guy named Steve from A&M? said:
WOW! What a small world. He is actually standing 6" away from me. Steve and I are the two design engineers on a prototype we are testing for Halliburton (and a hush falls over over the crowd... We aren't as evil as you hear in the media).

@ReefNut2010 wrote:
Too bad you can't take pics. Sounds like fun in the sun to me. Enjoy and I hope you get a few pics of the tide pools. What do you do on the rig said:
I am not normally offshore, but I am a electrical engineer for Halliburton. I design data acquisition and safety systems. In a nut shell I interface/automate various sensors (temperature, pressure, flow) and solenoids/actuators.

@tj51 wrote:
The thought has crossed my mind, but shipping is really bad here. You would need developed routes and staging areas.

Mitch"]

Ha! I saw him post about his trip on Facebook and figured that it couldn't be much of a coincidence. Tell him Chris Rush says hello.