Dosing Technique Help - Calling all Dosers

Mitch9192

Membership Expired
Hello All,

I have just purchased 3x dosing pumps for my 90Gallon. The plan is to use them in the following configuration:
-Calcium (maybe mix in some strontium and magnesium?)
-Buffer
-Auto Top off

I know I will need to determine my absortion rates and apply that to my dosing quantity and concentration, but I have a few other questions:
-What products does everyone use and where do you get them?
-What concentration?
-Do some products mix better than others? ie do some not stay mixed as well as others? I know Mg doesn't stay mixed well.
-Any formulas?
-Does anyone set alarms or cutoffs if PH or other value is out of range?
-What sort of duration/time frame do you dose at? Multiple times a day or in one lump?

Thanks for your help,
Mitch

I just started using bulk reef supply's 2 part and there instructions are pretty simple to follow. The only kind of value I have set is if my ph reaches 8.4, none of my pumps will dose. Shoot me an email and I have an excel file I made up to calculate dosing times.

i use three pumps to dose BRS 2 part Calc/Alk/Mag and use a separate controller for ATO. they work very well and stay mixed well, its a high quality product. my pumps dose C/A every hour and M every other hour. i have a controller that monitors everything in my tank and i normally measure C/A/M parameters weekly. BRS has calculators to help you get started.

Thanks guys,

Kinda funny how it is called 2 part, but actually comes with 3 parts...

Is this the one you get? The raising Ph version?
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/calcium-alkalinity-magnesium/two-part-calcium-and-alkalinity-solution/two-part-calcium-and-alkalinity-kit-1.html

Looks like I will not be using a dosing pump for top off. Anyone have pump recommendation for ATO. I already have the RKE and float switches.

Mitch

I use a Toms Aqua lifter pump for ATO. I use the PH raising formulation and set the controller to cut off dosing if the PH hits 8.4.

-Calcium (maybe mix in some strontium and magnesium?) said:
Do not do this....keep them seperate....strontium should be used sparingly as most good salt mixes have ample, it's called a trace element for a reason. [smilie=smile.gif] For the buffer just get the Sodium Carbonate(soda ash) to keep your PH up.

Cheers,

@bimmerzs wrote:
[quote="-Calcium (maybe mix in some strontium and magnesium?) said:
Do not do this....keep them seperate....strotium should be used sparingly as most good salt mixes heave ample, it's called a trace element for a reason. [smilie=smile.gif] For the buffer just get the Sodium Carbonate(soda ash) to keep your PH up.

Cheers,"]

This reason I mentioned this is because I periodically us a product to raise calcium that says "maintains magnesium and strontium". It also contains 70 other trace elements. Unlike buffer it sounds like mg and str can be mixed together without problems.

Mitch

@Mitch9192 wrote:
[I]@bimmerzs wrote:[/I][quote="[quote="-Calcium (maybe mix in some strontium and magnesium?) said:
Do not do this....keep them seperate....strotium should be used sparingly as most good salt mixes heave ample, it's called a trace element for a reason. [smilie=smile.gif] For the buffer just get the Sodium Carbonate(soda ash) to keep your PH up.

Cheers,"]

This reason I mentioned this is because I periodically us a product to raise calcium that says "maintains magnesium and strontium". It also contains 70 other trace elements. Unlike buffer it sounds like mg and str can be mixed together without problems.

Mitch"]

The mixed all in one product's are useless long term for maintaining multiple elements. Your tank will not uptake these equally especially magnesium, which usually is depleted slower but will take a pretty large quantity just to bring the level up to a specific level. Once you tanks starts going strong with growth you can easily get your chemistry out of balance that way. You will be negating the benefit and control of having the dosing pumps by trying to mix different products together and thats before getting into any unforseen side effects of doing that.

Cheers,

Thanks all for the info. This should really help. All my suplies should be in next week and I will post if I need any more help.

Mitch

I have a quick question on this topic. Im using a cal reactor but can i dose magnesium with that? Are dosers more affordable in the long run?

@Deanb wrote:
I have a quick question on this topic. Im using a cal reactor but can i dose magnesium with that? Are dosers more affordable in the long run? said:
Yup....they actally make some that you add to a ca reactor and run it that way. You can also add dolomite to the reactor as it is the same but it also releases alkalinity so you have to make sure you are not using too much. Also epsom's salt is magnesium however using it alone can raise also sulfate level's, good for periodic increasing your level's. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/10/chemistry

Cheers,