Video: Coral being eaten

Mitch9192

Membership Expired
Video of unknown bugs eating my Green Slimer. (also noticed a few on my Jesus Echinata)

I had a similar problem a few months ago so I did 2 rounds of interceptor and it seemed to help. Anyone have any ideas what these are? They don't look like red bugs; more like pods of some sort. I first noticed the stress when my Ca doser got stuck on and sky rocketed my Ca to 500+. I have gotten it back down to the 450 range with water changes, but it hasn't recovered. I will give it a few more days they I may try interceptor again... Problem is I just added a healthy amount of hermits...

Stats:
Red Sea
Alk: 9.8
Ca: 450
Mg: 1350
Ph: 8 - 8.3
Temp 79-80

API
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
Phosphate: 0

I appreciate your comments.

http://youtu.be/k5tDfz_Aq2k

Mitch

@dpenning wrote:
Says video is private... said:
Sorry about that, I used a new uploader from Cannon and I guess I missed that. Should be good now and I added some cheesy music while I was at it... It makes it seem happy and peaceful. [smilie=lol.gif]

Mitch

you're not having issues with cyano/algea are you? Whatever is bubbling and stringy looks like it may be smothering your green slimer. Just my opinion though.

@ntl555 wrote:
you're not having issues with cyano/algea are you? Whatever is bubbling and stringy looks like it may be smothering your green slimer. Just my opinion though. said:
I do have some algae. There is nothing on or touching the coral though. I am planing on doing a treatment though.

I think I am going to do the interceptor treatment again... I would rather not have bugs/pods/isos than have my corals die. I was also able to get most of my hermits last night as well.

Mitch

Do you have any corals around or near it? They do not have to be touching it to have a chemical warfare and how long has it been in the tank?

those bugs arent eating your coral, they are eating algae or detritus built up around the dying tissue from the parameter issue you had. corals wont immediately bounce back, they may take some time. keep up your CAM numbers, do some good water changes, add some carbon, and hopefully you can save some coral. you can also frag the dead or dying parts to help it recover faster.

Thanks guys,

The coral has been in the tank for 3+ months. As far as space goes it probably has the most space compared to other. The closest thing is some Symposium. I do weakly 15 - 20 gallon water changes on the tank (90 gal, LOTS of rock and 30gal sump). I also run Carbon and RohaPhos (separately).

It is affecting more than one coral and I had a similar problem before and the corals came back after the interceptor treatment. Could of been just luck but like I said I would rather risk the pods than the corals. Looking at pictures of pods they mostly look like Isopods. Cigar shaped

Mitch