Upgrade: Moving on up!

Mitch9192

Membership Expired
Upgrade: Moving on up!

I have been thinking of upgrading recently; however, it has been difficult to find the right tank. Since this was m 3rd tank purchase I was determined to be very pick.
- Footprint of 48" x 24"
- Must be drilled for overflow
- Minimal amount of scratches
- Quality stand or at least one that could be worked on while full.

After a few weeks I found it (reasonably fast).
- Dimension: 48" x 24" x 18"
- Rimless
- 6 months old
- 0 scratches
- Drilled for center overflow
- Drilled for closed loop
- Stand is primitive, but it lends itself to many options while full (such as paneling and molding)

I just got it home and I had a few things to do before I could fill it up
- Plugged up drilled holes for closed loop (not interested in this at the moment, but I made it easy to change)
- Silicon overflow (unique DIY, very clean and space friendly)
- Clean off algae and dead Coraline growth.

Once the silicon drys I will begin the transition. Tomorrow should be long...

Photos to follow shortly (upload from phone, much easier)

Mitch

I was hoping that I could just transfer everything over and only have to make 30 gallons or so but it turns out the live sand smells pretty awful. Fun day of making water. Nevertheless I can use the water from the old tank to cure the new rock.

I also broke down and bought a real refugium a's my last one was DIY and was not to be trusted.

What do you guys think.

As I said the sand I had gotten was quite sour and I have noticed a level reading of .25ppm Ammonia in my new tank for the last 2 days (nitrite and nitrate are at 0). It looks like the typical start of cycle; however I have put a few live rocks from my old tank in there to help speed things up. What do you think if I was to put enough prime in the tank to reduce the ammonia to 0ppm and then quickly move all my rock, sand, fish, inverts and corals from my 65 to my new 90? I have a large amount of rock in the 65 (probably to much), and it should be plenty for the 90. I am in a hurry to move things over because I will be gone all next week(I have a sitter) and my 65 DIY is becoming untrustworthy.

Any suggestions?

Mitch

Given all the advice I got... I decided to go ahead with my plan. First I neutralized the ammonia with prime and then started moving things over. Everyone looked good last night and I even saw my shrimp cruising around this morning. My SRBTA didn't look happy when I moved his rock, but he also started coming back out by the end of the night.

Pictures to follow

Mitch

Tank in action. Quality isn't great (3GS), and no lame music...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3SmDH-pG9s[/youtube]

Mitch