DIY ATO for < $50

Mitch9192

Membership Expired
Hey everyone,

I figured I would put my schooling to work and build my own auto top off (ATO).

The logic to an ATO system is very simple however the systems I see out there are very expensive. I included 2 switches for redundancy and a timer. The timer is actually my favorite part and is lacking in most commercial ATO's. There are 3 situations where the timer is helpful.
1. Top off bucket is empty. Don't want to burn up that pump
2. Switches have failed
3. Sump is leaking. No need to add Insult to injury.

Bill of Materials (price each) - required
1x PIC16F886 - $2
2x 330 ohm resistors - $0.05
3x 16 pin sockets - $0.10
2x LED - $0.10
1x solid state relay - $10 (don't know part # off the top of my head)
2x float switches - $5.50
1x - Aqualifter - $15 (any pump will work*
1x circuit board - $2
1x Old 5V phone charger (I always keep mine for projects)
1x extension cord - $2
* depends on your max current your relay can handle. The one I chose can only handle 1.5A.

I also spent another $20 at Home Depot for packaging and mounting. I didn't include that in the price as it is your preference.

I will be posting some more information as I get the chance. I may offer to sell some later for those who are not DIYers; however, I am very busy right now. I also have some planned improvements.
1. Switches for setting the timer delay rather than hard coded
2. Ac to dc converter so the phone charger is not needed.

If anyone one wants to do this I would be happy to program their micro controller with my code for free.

Mitch

Looks interesting, looking forward to reading the full write up.

Could this project be modified to create a simple wave maker? It would need a second SSR, additional LED (to light up when circuit is activated) and a control knob to adjust the osculating frequency.

@digital_gods wrote:
Could this project be modified to create a simple wave maker? It would need a second SSR said:
Yes it could; however, I wouldn't recommend it for high frequency switching. I personally wouldn't want it to switch much more than every few minute. The reason being is most powerheads/wavemakers are not meant for being switch on and off repeatedly. Many cheap wavemakers are just as likely to start in reverse as they are forward; Others have a mechanical device that will interrupt reversal long enough to start it in the other direction (you may hear the clicking when you first plug it in). Higher end devices (such as vortechs) are made to run from a VFD (variable frequencies drive) and to be honest I am not real familiar with them. If anyone has any incite to lend I would be happy to experiment.

Mitch

Every few minutes would work just fine for me. I'm just interested in the switching to keep the detris stirred up instead of collecting.

@digital_gods wrote:
Every few minutes would work just fine for me. I'm just interested in the switching to keep the detris stirred up instead of collecting. said:
Ya, I could do that, If I get time this weekend between COD I will see if I can wire up a prototype and post a video.

Mitch

any updates on how this things is coming along, Maybe i misunderstood. Id be curious to see this thing in action.

@JBsmurf wrote:
any updates on how this things is coming along said:
The ATO has been running a little over a month now with no problems. I haven't had a chance to modify it for alternating wavemakers, but that would be quite easy as the timing circuit is already there. I would only need turn the outputs on and off as the timer triggered.

Mitch

For $25 more you can get a professionally made one and it can be controlled by a controller (apex rk or profilux) or stand alone

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/rigging/Top-off-Kit

An

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@digital_gods wrote:
But where is the fun with off the shelf product and the tank cred that comes with diy. said:
That is what I was thinking, and to be honest it only cost me about $20, as I had all this stuff laying around.

Mitch

[smilie=lol.gif] Well these day's you can get a good controller for ~$150 that will control a whole lot more, access your tank from your phone ....and also get a cool signature with realtime tank parameters displayed. [smilie=wink.gif] That and it's less likely to malfunction and cause a mini flood(been there done that). [smilie=lol.gif]

Cheers,

@kuyatwo wrote:
For $25 more you can get a professionally made one and it can be controlled by a controller (apex rk or profilux) or stand alone http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/rigging/Top-off-Kit An Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
Got mine during their BF sales for $60 shipped [smilie=lol.gif]

@bimmerzs wrote:
[smilie=lol.gif] Well these day's you can get a good controller for ~$150 that will control a whole lot more said:
which controller are you referring to?

It is still work great, and as it turns out the timer I put in it ended up saying me a huge cleanup. I had DNA do a water change for me and my cords and cables are exactly nice, long story short the fill hose got moved and it start pumping out water behind my tank. Luckily the timer stopped it.

Mitch