Rock Positioning

Mitch9192

Membership Expired
My tank is currently setup with all the rock in the center of the tank so that there is a clear path behind the rocks. I was thinking of pushing it all back against the glass to give a little more swimming room. How is everyone arranging their rocks?

Mitch

Fish typical like the space to hide behind the rocks, so if you have some space back there, I'd leave it alone.
If you think there's to much rock in the front, maybe consider removing a few rocks from the tank.

I have two rock piles with space in between but its a penisula setup, for 3 side viewing.

Piling rock up against the glass is fine, but you want to make sure you dont pile up a bunch of baseball sized so its a solid wall. Several reasons for this, flow through the rock to the back, space for fish to hide, sleep and claim as their own and it keeps the detritus down (flow gets it off the rock).

@Drew wrote:
Fish typical like the space to hide behind the rocks said:
I kind of agree but to let the fish have a "hiding spot" and keep my rocks back towards the back (my tank is only 18" wide), I build a couple of caves and especially with my purple tang they love to hide out in the caves, swim in and out, etc. which is a win/win as still get to enjoy watching them but they feel confident that they are save because of the cover

Mitch. I can help you aquascaping. You can come check out my tank to give you some ideas. I have lots of hiding spots for my fish.

@kthomas wrote:
Mitch. I can help you aquascaping. You can come check out my tank to give you some ideas. I have lots of hiding spots for my fish. said:
I've seen Kyle's tanks and he has great rock work! It is hard to notice the rock work though when he has those huge corals trying to grow out of his tank

Thanks, Everyone. I ended up moving around much of the base rock, but leaving large gaps. I then used my nicer pieces to span those gaps. I also moved everything back a little. Before I had approximatly 5" from the back glass and my rock, now it is approximatly 3" with a few pieces toucing the glass.

The goal was more room to swim and more room for coral and I think I accomplished that. There are still a few rocks that aren't positioned great, but I will handle that over the next few weeks. My biggest problem is flow now. Before I got a nice grye like flow and now I am getting much more turbulance

Thanks for the offer Kyle, I would like to come by and see your tank sometime... FYI: I still have the piece I promised you... Fully encrusted and will be sold at the frag swap if you don't pick it up... [smilie=smile.gif]

Mitch

I've never been a big fan of a pile of rocks against the back of the tank. It is hard to see critters that go back there (I've lost fish behind piles of rock like that) and you don't get good flow, so lots of stuff builds up back there and can cause nitrate and algae blooms and stuff. I don't like the looks of it, either.

On a similar note to the debris buildup. When I started moving everything around there was a lot of build up between the rocks. By time I was done the tank was completely clouded. I put in some prime just in case, but I noticed most of my corals seemed to like it. All my LPS was open as well as much of the SPS. Also the skimmer has been going crazy the last few days. So it may not be a bad idea every now and then to tear you tank apart to keep it "young".

Mitch