Recent content by crash519

1. C

Opinions on DE pendants

I am really torn on what to do with the lighting for the up and coming 180. I am going to make the switch from SE to DE to minimize the size of the pendants. At the same time, i want to get the most efficient as possible. What ever senario I go with, it will be with 3 pendants covering a 2x2...
  2. C

LumenMax 2 Pendant best price

Does anyone have any ideas of the best price for the LumenMax 2 Mogul pendants? alt=""> It look like $147-$150 is the norm. Anyone have a good discount code to an online retailer? I have a code for 15% off at customaquatics.com, but they don't carry these :evil: TIA
  3. C

Reeflo Dart, Snapper or Tarpon for 180 return?

I'm needing to order my return pump for the future 180 and I'm having a hard time deciding between the Dart, Snapper, or the Uno Tarpon. The return will be a single through a union, ball valve, tee to two lines, 90 degree elbow on each to 3/4" bulkheads, tee to two loclines on each side. Total...
  4. C

Wavebox or Closed Loop

I'm devising my up and coming 180 and have already purchased a wavebox. I will also be using 2 6100 streams. I am, however, debating on drilling and doing a closed loop with a Oceansmotion 4-way and probably a Dart. I don't think the two would mesh well together however. Please comment if you...
  5. C

Carbon Rinsing question

I recently purchased half a bucket of carbon in the last Phosban, Carbon, DI group buy. I new when I bought it that it was lignite, but I never expected it to be ground into approx. 1mm size. After rinsing this suff for about 15 minutes under running tap water, I cannot get it even remotely...
  6. C

46" or 48" VHO

Does anyone know the total lenght including endcaps of the 46" and 48" VHO setups. I'm about the do a retro so I can use the super actinics but I have a choice of 46" or 48" bulbs. I know my T5's are around 46.5" long and the total length with the endcaps is right at 48". Is it the same with...
  7. C

250w SE Reeflux 10k or 12k?

I'm wanting to try the Reeflux bulbs over my DAS to see how I like them. I've got the e-ballasts, reflectors and sockets, I just need to order the bulbs. What are everyones opinions of the two and recommendations. How about some pics? I'd prefer to run them unsupplimented, but I can use two...
  8. C

Easiest way to run carbon!

What is the easiest way to run carbon on a system with no room for hang on filters? Is carbon in a bag and thrown in the sump effective at all? I've been battling a dino problem for a while now and running carbon is one thing I haven't been doing. Water changes were being done daily until I...
  9. C

Getting paper off old acrylic??

I have about a half a sheet of 1/4" cast acrylic that I plan to use to make a refugium. The problem is, the acrylic has been outside leaning against the house for almost a year. It isn't warped, but the the paper is all cracked and you can't just grab it and peel it off like new. Does anyone...
  10. C

Live Rock Order

I'm about to order 40-50 lbs. of uncured live rock for the 115 and was wondering everyones opinions of online suppliers and types of rock. Who has the best deals and what is your favorite rock type (Marshall, Pukani, Lalo, Haitian, Totoka Fiji, Kaelini, etc....) I currently have around 50+ lbs...
  11. C

Square Tubing Connectors

Does anyone know a source or what they are called. I'm looking for the plastic fittings that go inside to join pieces of 1" aluminum square tubing together. Any ideas? This is what I'm talking about: alt=""> TIA
  12. C

Where to find Oak molding

I'm doing a few changes to the stand that came with the DAS 115 instead of building a new one. The old stand is tall enough and structually sound, I'm just making some changes that I will show when they are done. My problem is finding oak molding of any kind. My local Lowes carried several...
  13. C

GlassCages

I haven't heard anything bad about them, but the fit and finish lacks a little. The silicone isn't as clean as the Oceanics or All-glass tanks and I'm not a big fan of the acrylic covers they have for the overflows. Other than that, you aren't going to beat the price without buying used. Of...
  14. C

Help from Tunze users?

I think I'm at the point of selling the closed loop equipment I was going to use and going with Tunze Streams. The risk associated with drilling 6 holes and the possibility of leaks from the countless bulkheads, joints and fitting just seems to deter me from doing it. That being said, should I...
  15. C

Closed Loop or Tunze

I'm at a point in which I need some great opinions. I've got a new Sequence Dart, an Oceansmotion 4-way, and all the bulkheads to do 2-1 1/2" outlets in the back wall, 2-1" returns in upper back wall and 2-1" returns in bottom of the DAS 115. Should I go ahead and drill the tank and use the...