Wavebox or Closed Loop

I'm devising my up and coming 180 and have already purchased a wavebox. I will also be using 2 6100 streams. I am, however, debating on drilling and doing a closed loop with a Oceansmotion 4-way and probably a Dart. I don't think the two would mesh well together however.

Please comment if you vote :lol:

I voted wave box and streams...less chance of leakage and you wont have to hassle of cleaning the drums if they get stuck

If you have an aquacontroller you can get a aquasurf module and control them all with your aquacontroller

@Glenn wrote:
Also look at vortec's instead of the 6100's as additional pumps. said:
Already have the 6100's as well as the wavebox. Until the vortecs are directional, I don't really care for them. They are less obtrusive inside the tank, but more outside IMO.

@kuyatwo wrote:
...and you wont have to hassle of cleaning the drums if they get stuck said:
I've got a OM Squirt that is only running on two outlets right now for that reason. Drives me crazy!

@kwl1763 wrote:
There is also no reason they can't mesh. A wavebox and closed loop with a 4 way would work fine! said:
I'm sure after a lot of adjusting they would work fine together, but I can't imagine the closed loop with the 4-way not interfering, to some extent, with the pulse of the wavebox. Then again, I guess the same can be said about the streams as well.

@crash519 wrote:
[I]@kwl1763 wrote:[/I][quote="There is also no reason they can't mesh. A wavebox and closed loop with a 4 way would work fine! said:
I'm sure after a lot of adjusting they would work fine together, but I can't imagine the closed loop with the 4-way not interfering, to some extent, with the pulde of the wavebox. Then again, I guess the same can be said about the streams as well."]

To that end even the 6100s and the returrn interfere somewhat. No more or less probably with a 4 way and closed loop then with the 6100s.

On mine I have 2 waveboxes and 6 6100's and a return. If I turn everything off except the wavebox and I get a wave that is almost 2" high. If I turn everyting on the waver reduces by about 1/3rd. I doubt it matters what kind of other devices you have in there. I'm sure the setup will somewhat effect but point is I don't think you'll see massive differences with going with the 6100s vs. the closed loop.

@kwl1763 wrote:
[I]@crash519 wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@kwl1763 wrote:[/I][quote="There is also no reason they can't mesh. A wavebox and closed loop with a 4 way would work fine! said:
I'm sure after a lot of adjusting they would work fine together, but I can't imagine the closed loop with the 4-way not interfering, to some extent, with the pulde of the wavebox. Then again, I guess the same can be said about the streams as well."]

To that end even the 6100s and the returrn interfere somewhat. No more or less probably with a 4 way and closed loop then with the 6100s.

On mine I have 2 waveboxes and 6 6100's and a return. If I turn everything off except the wavebox and I get a wave that is almost 2" high. If I turn everyting on the waver reduces by about 1/3rd. I doubt it matters what kind of other devices you have in there. I'm sure the setup will somewhat effect but point is I don't think you'll see massive differences with going with the 6100s vs. the closed loop."]

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

6-6100's, 2 waveboxes amd a closed loop :shock:

I guess i should have put a poll option in for "All of the above" :lol:

One of the things that I wish I could change about my 400 gallon is having a closed loop. With the technologies that we have you can have plenty of flow with a closed loop. (If you are willing to spend the $$$) I have 2 wave boxes as well as many other pumps. The flexibilty of the multi controller is awesome. The biggest problem with a CL is the directed laminar flow directly on and into the corals. It will literally blow off the tissue. You can increase the out flow, but it is still difficult to direct and IMO can't match what a Stream/wavebox can offer.

The aquasurf module creates too much of a chotic wave and you already have a wavebox, so the point is irrelevent.

I have a Closed loop powered by a dart. The plumbing for that alone probably cost about $150 just to give you an idea about cost effective analysis. THe pump will cost you *that pump* $200 bucks. There is your stream and the same amount of water flow with less electrical consumptom.