Help from Tunze users?

I think I'm at the point of selling the closed loop equipment I was going to use and going with Tunze Streams. The risk associated with drilling 6 holes and the possibility of leaks from the countless bulkheads, joints and fitting just seems to deter me from doing it.

That being said, should I go with a dual 6000 setup around 1850 gph max per powerhead or go with the dual 6100 with 3170 gph max each.

Now for the specifics of the tank. DAS 115 flatbacked hex tank with corner overflow and barebottom. Tank deminsions are roughly 50"x24"x26". It will have a Blueline BL1100 (1100 gph max) on an OM Squirt at the top 4 corners. It will be a mixed SPS/LPS tank with more emphasis on the SPS, but the wife likes LPS so there has to be some.

I know the Streams can be dialed back and gradually brought up to full power, but I'd rather not spend the extra money for the 6100's if they will more than likely never be ran full in a 4+' long tank. I could use the extra money later to buy another 6000.

Thanks for everyones help in deciding between the CL or the Tunze :wink:

Not to discourage the Tunze decision but you don't have to drill any holes to do a closed loop. I always had mine plumbed over the tank and in!

Go for a 6000 but your return will get probably 800 GPH or so and your Tunze will give you ~1800 each so around 40X trurnover for you. That should be plenty.

Personally I would do a closed loop because you can do a lot more with the money.

@kwl1763 wrote:
Not to discourage the Tunze decision but you don't have to drill any holes to do a closed loop. I always had mine plumbed over the tank and in! Go for a 6000 but your return will get probably 800 GPH or so and your Tunze will give you ~1800 each so around 40X trurnover for you. That should be plenty. Personally I would do a closed loop because you can do a lot more with the money. said:
With the eurobracing the DAS tank has, it would be hard to go up and over with the supply line. The fact that a Sequence Dart also needs a 1 1/2" supply minimum makes it even harder. That would be a bigger eyesore than a couple of Streams in a tank to me. If you factor in the OM 4-way, Dart and all the plumbing supplies, I bet you end up close to the same price when it's all said and done. Of course, I already have the Dart, 4-way, bulkheads and diamond drill bits :oops: The savings in electricity should make me feel better shouldn't it :lol:

Yep, the Tunze's will use less power. I'd go with 2x 6000 pumps.

@crash519 wrote:
[I]@kwl1763 wrote:[/I][quote="Not to discourage the Tunze decision but you don't have to drill any holes to do a closed loop. I always had mine plumbed over the tank and in! Go for a 6000 but your return will get probably 800 GPH or so and your Tunze will give you ~1800 each so around 40X trurnover for you. That should be plenty. Personally I would do a closed loop because you can do a lot more with the money. said:
With the eurobracing the DAS tank has, it would be hard to go up and over with the supply line. The fact that a Sequence Dart also needs a 1 1/2" supply minimum makes it even harder. That would be a bigger eyesore than a couple of Streams in a tank to me. If you factor in the OM 4-way, Dart and all the plumbing supplies, I bet you end up close to the same price when it's all said and done. Of course, I already have the Dart, 4-way, bulkheads and diamond drill bits :oops: The savings in electricity should make me feel better shouldn't it :lol:"]

Spend a little extra on the deco rock and you elliminate any "eye sore" with the Tunze!

I started to make an external closed loop. But, my tank is in my living room and it looked too messy. So I tore it down. I thought about going with the Tunze, but it was just too expensive. So I tried something really different. I ordered the Wave2K, hooked it up a couple of days ago. WOW, it moves some serious water and is quiet to boot. Don't have any live stock in it right now. Plan on buying some LR soon and transfering my 30 gal over to it. BTW it is a 135, bought it off of Keith. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Mark

As another thought that might be worth looking at/waiting for :sad: , you might want to check out the new pump technology that is being exclusively offered by IceCap in cooperation with eco-tech marine. If it works as advertised, it will be some serious competition to the tunze's and seios (both of which I own). It will be interesting to see how they stand up to real world use, but sounds very promising. There are several threads currently in IceCap's forum on reefcentral dealing with it:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7fc4e0b1aeebb9d9d89f20c10a65d993&threadid=672444
and the direct link to echo-tech is:
http://www.ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech.htm

They also make a calc reactor that is kinda different. Haven't seen or heard about it before though and there is a link/comment about it in the IceCap Forum also.

decisions,decisions....
:roll:

Those look pretty cool and neat, but whens the release going to be? Spring 2006 doesn't say much. Release dates almost alway get pushed back for one reason or another. They also still have to build the "ball and socket" mechanism so it can be directed a bit. Other than the heat and security of not having voltage "in" the tank, I don't know that the motor and wires controlling it stuck the outside of the tank is any less of an eyesore than having the entire thing inside. The technology is cool though :wink: It is very simple though. And claiming the price will be less than that of a Tunze 6100! How much will that controller cost though :?

After all the help from people here and at reefcentral, I was torn between a dual 6000 and a dual 6100 setup. A lot of people kept stating the ability to upgrade to a 6100 later while others basically stated that I would end up upgrading anyway so just do it now! Then I came across an individual selling a used dual 6100 kit with magnetic holders for slightly more than the dual 6000's. My decision was made :lol:

Thanks for everyones help and opinions. Now I just have to justify to the wife that the cost was worth :twisted:

The Vortech is sweet. I'm sure I'll get my hands on one in the future.

The price range was supposed to be less than a Tunze Stream with magnet. So figure it will still be around $300. Some features include the ability of communicating with up to 10 or 12 of them wirelessly. I have pictures and video of it, but not online quite yet.

At first I loved that Vortech pump when I saw it, but the flow was either on full or off. It will need the controller and by the way that $300 price was with out a controller. And because you need have a place for the motor on the outside, I would be very limited. On a tank with acess to both ends you could us them on the end shooting down the tank. But I did not see where you could direct the flow. It was just straight out away from the pump. The idea is a great one, but I still like the Tunze at this point.

Here's the link: http://ecotechmarine.com/home.htm

I would personally get a Tunze Turbelle stream. I just got mine on Thursday and LOVE it. I had two SEIO 820's but switched to the 6000. Yes they are a big investment at first, but make it up big time on the energy costs. If you get the single controller as well, it is a lot more versitale than a cloosed loop. Another thing to keep in mind, they hold their value very well if you have to sell it. Not to mention their customer service is the best. Just talk to Roger on RC! :wink: