Opinions on DE pendants

I am really torn on what to do with the lighting for the up and coming 180. I am going to make the switch from SE to DE to minimize the size of the pendants. At the same time, i want to get the most efficient as possible. What ever senario I go with, it will be with 3 pendants covering a 2x2 area each. I'm also trying to minimize the amount of light spill over around the tank since it will be an open top and I have a 3 yr old and will have a newborn within a week that I'd rather not blind every time they look up at the tank.

I know there are the Lumenbright pendants with 24 facets, which are showing great light focusing power, but they are a bit "ugly" IMO, but I could deal with it. My issue is the size and the height they have to be above the water. Do they focus enough of the light into the tank to justify the height and not light up the entire room?

The next option is the Lumenarc or Lumenmax style 12 facet. They are roughly the same price as the Lumenbright, but are not as tall, look a little better IMO, and can be placed closer to the water to illuminate the same area. However, would I be losing a lot of light around the pendants and illuminating the entire room to a point that you couldn't watch TV when the lights are running.

The final option are the standard HQI pendants from either Icecap or PFO. I like the PFO price point much more than the Icecaps and they appear to be close to the same design. Close enough anyway. Same question though, would I be illuminating the entire room?

What ever I decide, it will be with the 12k Reeflux and Icecap ballasts. I like that combination in the SE I have now. From what I've seen, the DE seem to be a little bit more blue than the SE which I would like.

I know it's a long winded post, but lots of money gets spent on the lighting systems and I've already bought stuff for one idea and changed my mind. Luckily I got what I paid minus the shipping charges out of it. I don't plan on buying new pendants once I make the initial order.

Thanks in advance for everyones opinions and suggestions!

I'm tagging along here. I'm in the same boat as you. However, I get confused on what bulb & ballast to use as well. As of right now (my mind could change at any moment), I plan to do a CoralVue E ballast/Reeflux 12k/LumenBright DE pendant.

I agree though, the LumenBright is rather large. But I was hoping this would be a good thing and cover my 36g Corner very effectively.

if you just want to cover a 2x2 area you will just need the lumenbright mini or lumenarc mini. lumenbrights are ugly but you get all the light going into your tank. also since the give such high par you can have them higher above your tank which means less heat in your tank.

both are great product i have owned the lumenarc and currently own the lumenbrights.

from what i researched pfo ballasts give alot of par but i question if they overdrive the bulbs

I have 3 IC 250w DE pendants on my tank. I actully got the model that will hold 250W or 400W bulbs. I like them, small and they sem to light up my tank just fine.

Thanks for the responses! Anyone have pics of open top systems with just pendants? I'd like to see how much spill-over there is of the light :wink:

Thanks!

send monisa a pm for some pics, he has two lumenbright minis hanging over his tank