Search results

1. D

Keeping sand alive?

This is probably a dumb question, but I need to move the sandbed out of my tank. How long will it stay "alive" with no skimmer / pumps / etc? I would normally assume not long, but I've seen "live sand" in sealed plastic bags before, so I figured I'd ask. I'm planning on just putting it in a 5...
  2. D

Best way to remove Valonia?

I did a few searches, and it looks like you can insert a syringe and suck out the insides, or just pluck them off. I grabbed this one and it seems kinda squishy, I'm afraid I'll pop it if I pull too hard. How tuff are they to pop? Secondly, this is Valonia, isn't it? :evil: I know, I should...
  3. D

What fish to go w/ a Copperband Butterfly?

I have a Regal Tang that has gotten a little big for my tank, so I'm thinking about getting rid of him and replacing him with something else. Currently my setup: 65g + 30g sump (probably 80g total water) Royal Gramma False Perc Copperband Butterfly Regal Tang Cleaner shrimp misc hermits (mostly...
  4. D

Someone beat up my cleaner shrimp - Will he recover?

[Normally my cleaner shrimp likes to hung upside down from one of the many overhangs. He recently started hanging out by my RBTA on the ground. I didn't think much of it, thinking he was probably trying to get scraps or something from the silversides I've been feeding the RBTA. Well, the...
  5. D

Help! sick tang - What can i do?

[Yesterday I went to look at my tank and my and happy go lucky Regal Tang was laying in the sand. I thought for sure he was dead, but then he started swimming. He's been in the tank for 3 months or so, all the other fish are fine. He can't swim very well at all ... he's pretty banged up from...
  6. D

Halleluiah!

[I got a CopperBand Butterfly 2 weeks ago. After about 30 minutes of initial shyness he was off to the races sucking up every worm in site. Everytime I watched he was on the hunt. He sucked up a few fan worms which I was dissapointed to see (and figured it would happen), but it's all worth it...
  7. D

Scwd stopped working - Are the 1 inchers out?

[Well, noticed my SCWD wasn't switching current a few days ago. Started soaking it today, we'll see if it recovers. If it doesn't, were the 1 in SCWD's released in September as they were saying? I haven't been following the issue. If they have, I might just go ahead and get the newer, bigger...
  8. D

Adjusting light cycle - Hard on fish?

[I admit, this is selfish, but at least I ask. :) I'm having a Halloween party on Saturday which I'm sure will go deep into the night. I'm pretty sure most people won't even get here till after my main lights have turned off, and probably half after my atnic's turn off. SO, I'd like most...
  9. D

Courted my first disaster this morning ... - Not a good way to wake up!

[I went to bed last night at my usual time - around 2am. Felt like I had just closed my eyes and my fiance is waking me up. "uhh, there's water coming out of the fish room and running out the garage - just thought you'd want me to wake you up for that" My response: :shocked: So about 6:30...
  10. D

Frogspawn pieces floating?

[I noticed the other day a small piece of my frogspawn was sitting down on a piece of rock. Today, I just noticed another small piece of it drifting around. Is it normal for this to happen? Is something ripping pieces off, or is the frogspawn just shedding them for some reason (good or bad?)...
  11. D

Feeding time - Am i starving my fish?

[I currently have 3 green chromies, 1 false perc, 1 serpant star, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, and misc snails and hermits. I feed once a day around 10:45am before I head to work. My question is, my fish always seem to go CRAZY when I put food in the water. I'm talking, the...
  12. D

Bug spray

[I've recently been having an issue with spiders in my house and am going to have the pest control guy come out and spray. My tank is an inwall and access is from a closet in the garage. My question is, will it be ok to let him spray that closet, or should I basically just have him avoid it...
  13. D

Too much current? - Sand blowing

[My closed loop is blowing the sand away from the corners of my tank. Is this just a matter of repositioning the locline over and over again until the sand no longer blows? What's the best method to get good current, but not blow your sand all over? :taz: Thanks!]
  14. D

Just got my first real fish...a yellow tang... - What should i do to ensure his health?

[Hmmm ... I've heard you generally want to add Tangs as the LAST fish you get because they are pretty territorial and will beatup anything new you put in the tank. I'd also say go to the Asian market and get some Nori, I'm sure the Tang will thank you for it. I think they also like Lettuce...
  15. D

Overflow box help - Changing overflow from clear to opaque

[My tank has a clear overflow box, and I really just don't like seeing the drains. My tank is apart now, and I am wondering the best way to make them opaque (preferably the same color as the background - which I haven't chosen yet). Should I glue new pieces of acrylic on top of the old...
  16. D

Getting snails off glass? - Need to put them in a different tank

[What's the trick to getting snails off the glass so I can put them in a different tank? I need to move them so I can clean the current tank up and drill it and such. I gave a little tug and they sure aren't coming off that way! heh Any advice is appriciated! Thanks, Damon]
  17. D

Should i keep existing water? - Moving tank, need advice

[I'm new to saltwater fish and am in the process of building an inwall (should be done next weekend! yeah!). I bought a tank from another member of the board, and moved it to my house. The tank was still running when I picked it up, but only consisted of sand, live rock, and 3 hermits and 5...