Just got my first real fish...a yellow tang... - What should i do to ensure his health?

[Hmmm ... I've heard you generally want to add Tangs as the LAST fish you get because they are pretty territorial and will beatup anything new you put in the tank. I'd also say go to the Asian market and get some Nori, I'm sure the Tang will thank you for it. I think they also like Lettuce. Take all that with a grain of salt tho, I'm a newbie myself. heh :p]

[Tangs LOVE Nori, and the seaweed sheets, and caulerpra.

The brown streaks you see may be due to stress. Mine does that at night, when she is "sleeping", and some yellows do this on a regular basis.

Please do NOT feed brine shrimp as a regular diet. This is candy to a fish - filling, but not nutritous. Flake food is much better, or frozen mysis shrimp - give a variety, and your fishy will be happy!]

[best advice feed it (not the tank) a lot. tangs do best when they can graze constantly all day. As said Nori is about the best reasonable option, you can get it at some grocers, especially asian markets. Clip a leaf in the tank each day and don't let it break down and pollute the tank and your tang will love it.

Tangs are eating monsters, but keep in mind that any food that goes in will turn to phosphate and nitrate, whether its in the form of food or fish waste. Sort of a catch 22 but certainly doable.]

[I usually feed real fish real food and artificial fish artificial foods like gummi bears and stuff...
but I read that somewhere...]

[Other good foods for tangs

Ocean Nutrition's Formula Two
Ocean Nutrition's Spirulina Formula
Ocean Nutrition's VHP (very high protein)
San Fransico Brand Emerald Entree

All of these are frozen foods. Since it sounds like you only have two fish you can use a knife and cut the frozen cube of food into smaller bites and just feed the Tang and damsel what they will eat.]

[66deduce!

Congratulations on your new real Yellow Tang. I just love mine. I think they are beautiful. Mine sometimes has that bruised look about it and first thing in the morning has a white line down the side of his body. THe first time I saw that I panicked-just knowing (I thought) that he was sick and would die. Just normal, don't worry about it.

I've been feeding mine the frozen brine-Sanfrancisco Bay- for the 4 months that I've had the tank. I was told that same as you about the nutrition and switched to frozen Formula I and frozen Formul II, plus some pellets by spectrum. Once I started feeding them the formula they seemed to really come alive and were more active so I'm sold on the Formula products now. They also love the Spectrum pellets.

Do put out some NOri. Mine love the Nori (I got mine at a health food store) and like it better than the seaweed salad that you get at the LFS.

Guys, How do you mount a whole sheet of Nori without it winding up in the over flow? I have to use3-4 in x1 in strips of Nori or else with the first bite or two it is all yanked off. THey finish it off in seconds and then I put another strip in and if they still look hungry I'll put a third in . I have a lot of fish along with 3 Tangs and a Clarks Clown that is a hog.

THey all love it, however I'd love for them to be able to graze on it all day. What kind of clips do ya'll use and how many of them to hold up a sheet of Nori? I put my Nemo clip in the middle of my 4 in strip and that way it has a little more support and they can approach it from either side.

Good luck to you 66!!]

[I take a half sheet of Nori each morning, and fold it twice. This I hold in the tank while the tangs eat it from my fingers, usually in about 90 seconds.

You can clip it to the glass, since you only have the one tang. Folding it a couple of times usually helps it stay in place unless the clip is no longer strong.]

[yea my yellow eats off my fingers too.They can be very aggressive eaters thats for sure.Sometimes I can't get it to teh clip before the tang is all over it.]