Courted my first disaster this morning ... - Not a good way to wake up!

[I went to bed last night at my usual time - around 2am. Felt like I had just closed my eyes and my fiance is waking me up.

"uhh, there's water coming out of the fish room and running out the garage - just thought you'd want me to wake you up for that"

My response: :shocked:

So about 6:30 this morning I'm only hitting about every 4th stair on my way down to survey the damage. As I'm jetting by the main tank I see it's still full, first sign of good news. Head out to the garage, and estimate about 3 gallons running from the closet door out the main door. I open the closet, and the sump is only half full. I immediately suspect my sump bulkhead, but it looks fine. Start worrying the homemade sump (not made by me) has sprung a leak, but it's still holding half the water. I FINALLY figured out the problem. I was in the closet last night mixing up some saltwater for tonights scheduled change. When I did so, I moved my rats nest of electrical cords. The cord for my sump light apparently fell against the output of my Euroreef and water was just following the cord right out of the sump! I'm immediately relieved that it wasn't anything that was a big deal, but at the same time pissed at myself for not organizing my cords better in the first place. Ironically enough I was going to get an American DJ power center on my lunch break yesterday and didn't get a chance. You can bet I'll be doing so today so I can organize the cords and this doesn't happen again. Good thing it still had a drip loop! But then again, if water got in the socket it would have tripped the GFCI and that would have shut down the Euroreef. LoL. In the 4.5 hours the cord was carrying water I assume it dumped about 6-7 gallons. I had just replaced my topoff water jug two days ago and I assume it dumped around 3 gallons of freshwater into the system before it ran dry. Luckily my salinity was still 1.024. I made 5 more gallons this morning and it was 1.025 when I left for work.

Anyway, here's a pic of what I awoke to before I made new water and topped off the sump. Guess now I don't have to do my water change tonight! heh

reeftank%20014.jpg
alt="">

If you have a rats nest of power cords, I'd suggest getting them organized! Guess I was lucky this time that the fiance leaves early in the morning. :cool:]

[Wow! Glad to hear it wasn't something more complicated to fix. Aside from the damage to the wallet, I think flooding is the most damaging aspect of the hobby. Good thing for you it drained out the garage and not into the living room. Been there, done that...]

@DuaneD wrote:
[Good thing for you it drained out the garage and not into the living room. Been there said:
[Yeah, when I converted the closet into the fish room luckily I put some commercial grade rubber trim around the bottum and ran a bead of calk to help make sure no water went anywhere but out the closet door and into the garage. :)]