Bug spray

[I've recently been having an issue with spiders in my house and am going to have the pest control guy come out and spray. My tank is an inwall and access is from a closet in the garage. My question is, will it be ok to let him spray that closet, or should I basically just have him avoid it? I'm assuming avoid it. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Damon]

[You know Damon I have no idea, but I would think to aviod that room. I would also ensure that no fumes get into the tank from the front.
Good luck with the spiders they are out of control up here this summer.]

[I'd at the very least turn your skimmer off for a few hours during / after the spray...Anything sucking air into the system you should turn off just to be safe.]

[Avoid that room and closet. He can do everything else. Maybe he can set up traps near the tank that the spider sticks to. The sprays will hurt all your pods I believe.]

[I believe you can request an all natural spray or gel that doesn't go airborn when applied for any where close to the area. They have pet friendly, not sure if that includes fish friendly.

I am sure if you ask the pest company they will have some advice. Aquariums are not uncommon in households so I am sure they have ran across it before.]

[Better idea save the money... Permanent solution House Geckos... You throw tons of money at pet stores any way!

When I moved into my house I bought 20 house Geckos from Planet Pet. I released them in the front room and they stay pretty much out of the way/ out of sight except outside. The ones that might think to get insight... turn into cat toys.

I do still bomb the front room and kitchen once a year during summer... but that is not for spiders! (It's because I don't want anything (even geckos) were my food is)!]

[I had read somewhere - I have to find it - that any spraying in the house would be dangerous.

You are to turn off the skimmer, and cover the tank with a towel. It's supposed to cover the tank, at least the entire top...

If nothing else, you fish will be cosy!

I'll have to find that article.]

[We used an organic pest control company. I just told them to stay away from it and the wall it was on.

Was 2 months ago and all is fine.]

[TealCobra my wife loves animals!!! Geckos are no exception if I find one outside and don't let her know... I am in big trouble! She likes to know how they are doing.

I once found a 3 foot glass lizard outside my home... At the time I had no idea what it was... if it was poisonous or anything; she made me catch it. Turns out they are native lizards. We released it in the back yard.

She actively wants an iguana and/ or a bearded dragon... she doesn't help take care of any of the animals except the cats. Having already had a ball python and an iguana I explained how much work a lizard is as a pet is... well lets just say I have her at bay for now.

I try to keep her away from the iguana kingdom at Pet o' Rama she really wants him!

Oh yeah and she has two red slider turtles already!]

[I'm on contract to have the house and grounds treated 4x a year. 4 cats, 4 active tanks. Never had any problem with what they use - I only tell them I have cats and fish and they tell me it's no problem - and it hasn't been.
The new sprays are not the old oil-based kerosene-smelling things. More like water-based and scentless.]

[I remember reading about some guy who put his hand in the tank after petting his dog. He had put flea drops on him the day before and it got on his hands. When he reached in the tank he thought his tank was snowing. On further inspection he discover it was all his pods coming out of the sand and rock, dieing, and floating around the tank.

Not sure if this applies but it sounds scary. Pods are insects so I would think most poisions would be toxic to them as well.]

[Yes, that is true. The guy always washed his hands before touching his tank, but he pet his dog(s) right before feeding time. His wife had just put the flea treatment on the dog's neck (the once a month dosage), and after petting the dog briefly, he held his hand in the water for 5 minutes as he thawed and fed his tank.

All his crustaceons died immediately while everything else was fine. The pods are basically water fleas, and land fleas are what were targeted on the dog.

So he posted the warning on RC so that the rest of us would be more aware.]

[Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll go over everything with him and have him avoid the fish closet. Turning off the pumps/skimmer is a good idea, and I'll cover the sump and tank as well. Probably can't be too careful.

Brian - that lizard idea had me LoL. We've already got plenty on the outside of the house, maybe that's why the spiders are on the inside!]

[lol I have a gecko issue too, little buggers are all over the place...my girlfriend hates them with a passion cause they are canibals.... Least theres not many spiders]