Search results

1. L

Number of T5 bulbs needed

I have a 48x24x24 120 that I am trying to decide how many bulbs I need. The lights will be approx. 9 inches from the water surface. I have had 4 x 110 for 440watts from VHO's in the past that has done good. Just trying to figure how many T5's I need to get the same lighting. Thanks, Brian
  2. L

Problem with T5's not staying on...

I have 4 48" T5 bulbs. When I plug everything together only two bulbs come on, and they only stay on for about 1 second, then turnoff. The other two do not come on at all. I have switched the bulbs around, and the same thing happens no matter the bulbs. I have looked for obvious loose wires...
  3. L

Replacing Lighting, have questions....

I have dinosaur VHO's in my 120 currently. The tank is 4'x2' & 2"tall(water depth). I currently have 4 x 110W 48" VHO bulbs running. I am finally going to upgrade to something that gives off less heat. I plan to replace those lights with one LED fixture that is 64 x 3W and then run either 2...
  4. L

Switching VHO's to T5's, how many bulbs?

I currently have 4 48" VHO(440 total watts) bulbs over my 4 x 2 120gal. Question I have is how many T5 bulbs do I need to keep the same amount of light? Thanks, Brian
  5. L

Want to upgrade, have questions

I want to upgrade after 8 years of VHO's, and I have not really paid attention to lighting advances other than the names and basic pros/cons. Currently I have 4 48" 110w bulbs, 2 white & 2 actinic. My tank is 24" wide, 48" long, water depth is 20". My hood is 11" from top of water to lid, so...
  6. L

Cleaning sand & have a question

I have done this once before and it was very easy, but this time my sand was in coolers for almost 4 months. Obviously it is very nasty and stinks. If I get it cleaned out good is it still ok to use? The last time the sand wasnt nearly as dirty and I wasnt worried about using it. Thanks, Brian
  7. L

Cleaning empty tank questions

I am cleaning my emty tank after moving. The tanks has been empty and dry for 4 months. I have scraped the glass clean but I am wondering about the dried/dead coraline on the overflow, sump, and equipment. Will it hurt the tank if it is not removed before I restart the tank or is it just a...
  8. L

Tank moving question

I am setting up a tank at my parents' house while my new house is being built to house what is in my current tank. I have a couple questions about what would be the best way to handle a couple aspects of this process. 1) The new tank has sand that I have cleaned very well, but obviously is not...
  9. L

Glass drilling

I am looking for someone that drills glass. I have seen the DIY links on how, but dont have the time and if I mess it up I will have a new set of problems. If anyone does this or knows someone that does let me know. Thanks, Brian
  10. L

Rinsing sand

I am going to attempt to rinse and reuse some sand from my tank. I have never tried this before, what is the best way to go about rinsing it? Thanks, Brian
  11. L

Zebra eel substrate question

I am setting up a temporary tank for about 4 months while my house is finished. I wanted to do bare bottom to make it easier and cheaper. I have read that they need at least a 2" sand bottom, but also read where people keep eels in a BB tank. Does anyone have any experience/opinions? Thanks, Brian
  12. L

Purple Tip Sebae

My nem has recently shrunk and turned white. I know the white color means it can no longer feed itself. How often should I feed it? I haven't had to feed im the past. Also, any ideas what caused this and what I can do to get it back to being happy? My parameters are good and I do regular water...
  13. L

Lighting not staying on......

I have a VHO set up with an icecap 660, the lights over the past few days wont stay on consistentyly. I can unplug the lights and re-plug them into another slot in the power strip, they come back on for a few minutes then they turn off again. I can repeat this as many times as I want. Does...
  14. L

Identification & Help

I am asking for help on the yellow sponge( I think) in my tank. It is spreading like wildfire and I fear it is going to overtake some of my corals. Any help and charateristics of this sponge would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian
  15. L

Weird Stand Question

Doe anyone else notice creaking in your stand? Just recently my wife and I have noticed a creaking coming from the stand, sort of like its settleing or something. We did not notice until about a month ago, but I suppose it could have been happening all along, but I dont think so. The stand is...
  16. L

Identification please..... Now have pics

I have little "critters" showing up in my tank over the past few weeks, they look like small pink amoebas. Now that I am looking closer they are all over my mushrooms, and other soft corals. Mostly at the bottom or on the sandbed. I will try and get a good pic up, but does anyone have an idea...
  17. L

Mulitple Pygmy Angels

I have always been told and have had experience with its not a good idea to keep multiple pygmy Angels in one tank, unless its a large tank. I also know that adding them at the same time can help also, but I question why the small tanks at LFS's I have been to are able to keep 4-5 in a 20...
  18. L

Identifying a skimmer

I have a Coral Life super skimmer that came with the tank that I bought used a few years ago off the board. I was told it is the 220, but I wanted to confirm that its not the 125 before I get my bio-load up. I searched on the unit itself and I dont see any markings, I did see the measurements...
  19. L

Overloading a tank

Is there a rule of thumb on the number of fish you can safely put in a tank? Obviously fish are different sizes, so is there maybe a ratio of tank size to inches of fish that anyone follows? I am asking about a reef tank with refugium if that matters. Any feedback would be appreciated. Brian
  20. L

Purple Tang Question

I want to add a PT to my 120 reef. Currently I have a Tomini & Blue Tang that are established in tank. You think PT will be agressive, or will the fact that he is last Tang added will keep him from being a problem? Thanks, Brian