Mulitple Pygmy Angels

LuHockey2

Premium Member
I have always been told and have had experience with its not a good idea to keep multiple pygmy Angels in one tank, unless its a large tank. I also know that adding them at the same time can help also, but I question why the small tanks at LFS's I have been to are able to keep 4-5 in a 20 gallon tank. I know they could have added them at the same time, but I know in several instances they were not added at the same time. Are there certain types that can co-exist? I had no luck with a Coral Beauty and a Flame in the same tank. But, what about a Coral Beauty and a Flameback or African Flameback? Anyone have good luck with multiple in one tank? I am asking for my tank which is 120 gallons.

Brian

Having worked many years in the LFS biz I can tell you the reason that several pygmy angels get along one tank is because 1) usually the fish aren't in there long enough to acclimate and feel comfortable enough to start defending their territory 2) often the tank is small and the crowding makes it difficult for one angel to feel dominant enough to be mean or claim any territory 3) what you don't see is that even given the other reasons eventually one of the angels will start beating the crap out of the other ones and will have to be moved. Usually. That's usually the case for most territorial fish, if you pack enough of them in a small enough space it will prevent aggression issues, at least for awhile. You can try to keep two angels in a 120, and it might work, and it might not, as you've already experienced. You will always hear someone talk about how they did it and now the angels get along fine, but you will often (probably more often) hear that they fought like crazy and one of them eventually died because you couldn't catch it and it got beat to death. Its a little bit of luck of the draw really, along with factors like how often you feed (satiated fish are less likely to fight), how many hiding spaces there are in your rockwork, and what kind of angels you use (in my experience Coral Beauties tend to be less aggressive than either of the Flamebacks, but fish sometimes have a mind of their own and don't always conform to our stereotypes). Hope that helps.

I will agree with coral beauty been least aggressive...I recommend trying a coral beauty and a Midnight angel aka black nox angel. I keep 1 in my reef and it does'nt fight any thing in my 55g. I have also kept a Coral beauty also.

p-66492-Black-Nox-Angelfish.jpg
alt="">

I had a Coral Beauty and a Flame Angel in a 115 and they got along fine. I eventually got rid of the Coral Beauty because it was nipping at my corals