Purple Tip Sebae

LuHockey2

Premium Member
My nem has recently shrunk and turned white. I know the white color means it can no longer feed itself. How often should I feed it? I haven't had to feed im the past. Also, any ideas what caused this and what I can do to get it back to being happy? My parameters are good and I do regular water changes. Any ideas are appreciated.

Brian

Most sebaes are purposely bleached before even reaching wholesalers and distributors so it is always hard to get them healthy. It is not likely anything you did, but what are your parameters? Yo feed just give it part of a shrimp and check it an hour or so later to see if spits out the remains.

I have had it for over a year now and have never seen it do this. Up until recently it had its normal brownish color, which as I understand it means it is getting food from the lights. Didnt mention this earlier, but it has released from the rock as well. I know this too is a bad sign, just looking for something to do to save it. BTW, I have fed a small piece of krill and I didnt see it spit anything out, but also didnt sit and watch for more than about 15 mins.

Water Parameters as of a week ago:
Calcium 345
Magnesium 1100
Alk 7
PH 8.1
Nitrates 10

Just an FYI, I have had different types off anemones that did worse when I fed too much. Mine are all perfectly happy and growing like crazy and I don't target feed any of them. Have had them for several years now and have had countless splits. Hope he pulls through.

Couple of things that haven't been asked about yet that could contribute:
Have you recently added any corals that could be waging chemical warfare with the anemone? Do you have other anemones?
What kind of lighting do you have; how old are the bulbs and how deep is your tank?
How big are your every two week water changes? You wouldn't happen to have opened a new bucket of salt recently have you?

No as far as adding corals or other nems. I have 4 x 48 VHO's. Bulbs are almost new. Water changes are 25 gallons on a total of 145 with fuge and display together. All new water comes from LFS that I have used for quite a while.

Keep feeding the anemone small pieces of food if it will accept it, daily. It is especially in need of food if it is in a shaded area and is bleached. Hopefully, it will color back up and find a place in the light.
I'm not sure if this is directly affecting your anemone, but your water parameters are a bit off. Do you test your water and dose cal, alk or mag regularly?
First, your mag is low and should be raised to at least 1250ppm. Also, your cal is low and alk is on the low end of acceptable range. After the mag level is brought up, you should then be able to bring up your cal and alk slowly to acceptable ranges. If you do choose to make any changes, do it very slowly to avoid stressing out the anemone any further. This includes more water changes if your nutrients are already low.

@Wes wrote:
Most sebaes are purposely bleached before even reaching wholesalers and distributors so it is always hard to get them healthy. It is not likely anything you did said:
[smilie=surprised.gif] Why in the world would they bleach them?

Cause neon white is prettier than mud brown and stores are able to sell them easier

most do, thats why its done, its just most dont know that these are taken from the ocean to storage tanks that are no better than horse troffs and left in the dark for months so they expel their Zooxanthellae

A healthy Sebae is not white, its actually tan. I had one for two years and when I took it out it was the size of a basketball.