Want to upgrade, have questions

LuHockey2

Premium Member
I want to upgrade after 8 years of VHO's, and I have not really paid attention to lighting advances other than the names and basic pros/cons. Currently I have 4 48" 110w bulbs, 2 white & 2 actinic. My tank is 24" wide, 48" long, water depth is 20". My hood is 11" from top of water to lid, so the fixture for example makes my VHO bulbs about 8"-9" from the water.

I have three questions, feel free to answer them or make any other comments that might help. My knowledge of other lighting is pretty basic, so feel free to point out anything that might be helpful.

question 1 - since MH are much hotter, is the 11" height I have two little room unless I get a chiller or hang the lights higher.

question 2 - with LED's, how much coverage and how many watts is suggested for my size tank? I have tried to research on my own and have gotten very different answers. For example, if a fixture is 14" x 8" and 150w how many would I need if they are mounted 11"?

question 3 - are T5's that much better than VHO's or should I wait if I cant afford/fit MH's or LED's?

Thanks for any help,

Brian

Power compacts would be the next upgrade, then T-5, then Halides and LEDs. Everything depends on what you want to keep in the tank, soft corals, LPS, SPS, etc... and what you might want to keep in the future.
I went from the old VHOs to power compacts and then to T-5s. Was able to keep most LPS and Soft corals. T-5 are smaller so you can cram more watts into a confined space. Halides in a enclosed canopy will create a lot of heat. Installing vents and fans will remove some heat but will still raise tank temps.
LEDs are confusing and the latest lighting crayz. Best bet would be to visit local fish stores to get an idea of the look, price, effectivness etc.

I recently setup a new reef tank and opted for LEDs. My tank is 72" wide and originally I was purchasing a 48". The guy at DNA said that, for the Unique Prism LED system that I went with, the manufacturer recommends one light kit per 24" (thus I bought three). It's been great - no chiller needed since they don't get hot and they also use so much less electricity than MH. My corals love them - well, there is one coral that's not responding well (a goniopora) but I think it's because he's too close.

I would go straight to LEDs. Benefits, no heat from MH and no bulb replacing from having T5's. Now you have to decide DIY or manufactured setup. There are tons of threads so just do a search.

DIY LEDs from rapidled or stevesleds (dfwmas sponsor). Steve would be able to help you with how many you need to cover your tank footprint.

Manufactured kits like Unique LED or Aquailluminations.

There are plenty of members around here with all of the above.

T5 HO (high output) will be here for a while till prices come down on led light. Power Compact are still here but they are becoming extinct.

There is a 4 bulb light being sold for $80 in the for sale section. I highly suggest not to let this deal go.

I say T5 or MH. Still not convinced about LEDs. Ive tried a few LED setups for a short period. Some coral had better color and others looked better under T5 or MH. Seen too many tanks with LEDs that have bleached or browned out SPS.