Search results

1. G

41 new 24" power compact bulbs - FREE

All bulbs are new 24” 55/65W. Mix of straight and square pin. I tested them with a ballast previously, but don't have one anymore. Should be good though. I realize most people like LEDs these days, but at this price you can operate a tank with lights for quite a while for much cheaper! 11 -...
  2. G

18 gal acrylic Sealife Systems sump with filter tray

Works great, no leaks, holds a lot of equipment and is quiet when you add some filter material in the tray.  $70 - Carrollton
  3. G

FS: 72gal bow front reef ready and ALL equipment - Getting out of the hobby

I've enjoyed aquariums for many years, but after we had to tear down our 72 bow last year to install new wood floors, we've decided we're going to just give it a rest for a while.  We're going to sell everything fish related that we've collected over the years.  Below is a list that I will keep...
  4. G

Dinoflagellates ... *sigh*....?

I seem to have a pretty bad dino infestation. It seems I fell trap like lots of others unaware of the existence of dinos, thinking that I just had an algae problem. This all started for me immediately after changing over from PC lights to LEDs. I had a single 48" PC with half actinic, half 10k...
  5. G

Upgrade from 72 bow to 155 ... where to start?

We've been very happy with our 72 bow for about 4-5 years now but now that we're starting to do some upgrades to the house we'd like to go ahead and start a plan for getting a larger tank so we can house some more fish and corals. 2ft longer and 6" deeper should still fit well in our living...
  6. G

Some corals doing great, but others fade away...?

Temp: 78F SG: 1.0026 NH3: 0 NO2: <.1 NO3: <10 Last light change was 3mo ago. flow: 1- MJ1200 plus sump pump with two nozzles (forget flow on it) Will get other params tonight and post Basically i have a bunch of Kenya tree that's doing really well and growing fine. I also have 2-3 species of...
  7. G

Aiptasia outbreak

I have had a realllly hard time trying to take care of my aiptasia outbreak over the past year or so. I've gone through a lot of Joe's Juice and just recently started using Aiptaisa X pretty successfully. It is not 100% though, because a week or so later I have probably 50-60 visible left. I...
  8. G

Big aptasia problem, hw to get rid of it?

I have tons of aptasia in my tank. For more than a few reasons, I haven't had time to take care of each small aptasia that I find with Joe's juice. Now I think I have more than I can easily tackle. I tried a couple of peppermint shrimp a couple weeks ago, but I didn't see them past a few...
  9. G

Urchin keeps sucking up my frag rocks

I have a white urchin (forget the name) and he has a serious problem with latching on to things that aren't very well attached in my tank. Right now he has probably 4-5 old snail shells attached to him. Lately he has had a thing for grabbing my frag rocks and dragging them around, usually...
  10. G

Ich Symptoms - has to be multiple white spots?

Unfortunately I have begun to notice a white spot on the Naso tang I got from DNA on their big sale day. I have never had a tank with ich before and haven't really seen any fish with it, so I am not 100% sure what I'm looking for. All the pictures online that I'm finding aren't helping me...
  11. G

Anyone have good samples of Fish with Live Rock tanks?? FWLR

I am thinking about adding a 72" tank, probably 180-200 gallons soon. I'm curious what all you can do with a fish only with live rock tank?? Seems logical to concentrate working on my corals in the 72 bow and have some larger fish and other things in the 180+. FWLR would save $ on lighting...
  12. G

Metal tie downs on pump in sump.

So I setup my current tank 1.5 years ago and while cleaning out my sump really well yesterday I noticed that I used a metal pipe strap to hold the hose onto my return pump, and it has begun to rust now. Is that bad for the tank?? I guess when I designed the system I didn't think about it and...
  13. G

tank params in peoples signatures

What are those of you with your tank params in your signature using to do that? I am going to be putting a computer in my den with my audio system soon and I could run some wires over to the tank to get readings probably.
  14. G

Corals shrinking and fading off

What is the most common reason for corals to start shrinking and fading away? I have had issues with this in the past and can't figure out what the problem is. Specifically I am speaking about Mushrooms and Xenia. I have some of the green grassy coral (forget the name) and pollups that are...
  15. G

Help! Problem with clown.

I bought a clown from DNA about 1.5 weeks ago. I noticed he had something weird with his lip when i got him home into my tank. He also went to one spot and barely moved. Ever since he just stays in one spot doing nothing. Doesn't eat (that i've seen) or anything. The spot on his lip that...
  16. G

T5 vs PC lighting...

What is the difference between T5 and PC lighting besides the obvious physical? I have PC's now, but haven't ever had T5's. Also, how would these compare to VHO's?
  17. G

Quality Difference in All-Glass and Oceanic?

Since All-Glass has bought Oceanic... is there any difference in quality between the two? I can get a 72g Oceanic for $260, or 72g All-Glass for $190. Nice savings... which one?
  18. G

Ok to use magnum350 filter - ?

[I posted a question about using my aqua clear with a low bioload 46 gallon bow front. Is it ok to use this and my Magnum 350 canister filter? none of the skimmer solutions (besides an aqua c) will work for me i don't think. I don't have any coral .. just fish and live rock. Thanks!]
  19. G

Freshwater flakes vs. marine flakes ? - Ok to use fresh?

[I have a whole bunch of freshwater flake food left over from my freshwater tank. is it ok to use these with my fish or do freshwater flakes have things in it bad for the saltware (ie phosphates, etc...)? I've been feeding the freshwater flakes for a while and i'm thinking maybe that is why i...
  20. G

Lawnmower eaten?

[I picked up a lawnmower blenny two days ago from DNA. When i put it in the tank after acclimation it went under the rock where my star fish stays. I haven't seen the blenny since. Do star fish eat blenny's??? That was an expensive meal if they do! :very angry:]