Anyone have good samples of Fish with Live Rock tanks?? FWLR

glocklt4

Premium Member
I am thinking about adding a 72" tank, probably 180-200 gallons soon. I'm curious what all you can do with a fish only with live rock tank?? Seems logical to concentrate working on my corals in the 72 bow and have some larger fish and other things in the 180+. FWLR would save $ on lighting and things that get crazy expensive with the larger tanks.

Suggestions ?

Not sure what you are exactly asking...are you talking about what kinds of fish, equipment or what?
There are several people in the club that have more than 1 or 2 tanks for the same reason, maybe they can chime in for you.

Yeah, a few things.

1) What kinds of fish do you have in a FWLR tank? More of the species that eat Corals and things usually?

2) I'd really like to see some pictures of FWLR tanks too. Almost everyone on here seems to have a reef tank, haha. Anyone in the same situation I am, a reef and FWLR?

3) I'm assuming the equipment is pretty much the same as my existing reef setup except for lighting (do you just use a few VHO to light up the fish nicely but not too much that a lot of alage grows?) ... and also I assume there is no need for dosing calcium, etc... ?

4) Is fish WITH live rock the best way to go? Is it better to just go completely Fish Only and put more filtration in the sump system and use dead rock?

My plans for now are to start gathering equipment gradually, so I just need to figure out what I will need. Planning to start completely from scratch with dead substrait too and let the cycle go completely on it's own. Obviously I realize that it'll take longer to cycle the tank, but not rushing anything with this one.

I have a predator reef... Idk if you'd call it a reef quite yet, my coral colonies are few and small.

I have a waspfish, small green spot puffer, yellow wrasse, snowflake eel.

Liverock, baserock, white aragonite sand, and 1 250w MH light. It's much crisper than any other lighting available. I'll never go back to another type. I have a number of powerheads, currently working on the filtration aspect of the tank.

FOWLRs tend to need much more filtration and skimming since larger carnivores poo more.