Upgrade from 72 bow to 155 ... where to start?

glocklt4

Premium Member
We've been very happy with our 72 bow for about 4-5 years now but now that we're starting to do some upgrades to the house we'd like to go ahead and start a plan for getting a larger tank so we can house some more fish and corals. 2ft longer and 6" deeper should still fit well in our living room.

I've seen some used tanks about this size going for only around $300-400 online, but the new price appears to be around $1000-1200. Any recommendations on where to start looking to get a budget setup?

One thing that I don't like about my current stand is that it's made of MDF or some other pressed board. A bit of water splashed from my sump on to the walls of the stand inside without me noticing and it caused a bit of water damage so that the board swelled. Are there any nice cherry bow stands that you'd recommend (finished wood or unfinished).

And yes, before trying to start sell me on a rectangular tank, I'm pretty set on the modern look of bowfronts. I realize that you limit space under the tank and above it for lighting, but it's still worked fine for us now anyway.

Thanks!