Quality Difference in All-Glass and Oceanic?

glocklt4

Premium Member
Since All-Glass has bought Oceanic... is there any difference in quality between the two? I can get a 72g Oceanic for $260, or 72g All-Glass for $190. Nice savings... which one?

IMO you pay for the name with oceanic but the two brands are of equal quality in general. I've owned both and have an all glass and oceanic that are both holding water atm that I have had since 1993. I had to resilicone the oceanic before I set it up again the last year but have never had problems with it.

Just my opinion, but the quality of Oceanics seems to have gone down lately, they look more flimsy like the "cheap" brands now...

Check out the price on Oceanview... I've been very happy with my 55g custom drilled from them, and it was cheap too!

I'll have to back up Serk on this one. The Older Oceanics were built solid.
Nice tanks, but currently, they're looking rather cheap and flimsy. I also am in process of cycling my Oceanview 120 tall. to give you an idea, the glass is about 3/4" thick and the tank Empty weighs around 200 lbs.
the Bottom glass is tempered but the back isn't. Makes it real handy for drilling for overflows or a closed loop system.

I've owned both myself... an AGA 130 that was 48x24x24 and now my Oceanic that is 48x24x28 (taller). My oceanic is about 2 or 3 years old and was built like fort knox. I have not looked at any recently but I was impressed with the build quality of this one when I got it. The only drawback to it is the glass euro-brace but that is a pet peeve of mine.

On the other hand, I was just as happy with my AGA as well and never had any problems with it, except the glass covers on top. The hinges on them broke after a year or so of use.

I will say that the plastic and gates (overflows) on the Oceanic are much better and thicker than the AGA I had and larger.

I also think the Oceanic was thicker glass than my AGA.

@renechan wrote:
I believe Oceanic tanks have a 5 yr warranty & AGA only has a 2 yr warranty. said:
Oceanics warranty is only valid if you own one of their stands though :) Just an FYI for the DIY's or folks who go custom.