Freshwater flakes vs. marine flakes ? - Ok to use fresh?

glocklt4

Premium Member
[I have a whole bunch of freshwater flake food left over from my freshwater tank. is it ok to use these with my fish or do freshwater flakes have things in it bad for the saltware (ie phosphates, etc...)? I've been feeding the freshwater flakes for a while and i'm thinking maybe that is why i have so much hair algae?]

[all fish food has rediculous amounts of phosphates...I don't think fw food is any more likley to be so then salt water flake. Its just different ingredients and maybe some different vitamins.

I fed OSI marine food to my freshwater fish for quite some time, I don't see any reason why feeding them some fw flake would be an issue. You are feeding more then just flake though in general right? :)

Sparulina(sp) is a great flake food for fresh and salt water fish.]

[At one of our meetings I won like twelve cans of fresh water flake food in the raffle. My clowns and my cichlids seem to love it.
I do alternate with different foods though but they seem to know when it is time for the fresh flakes. It is the only time my clowns and my yellow-tailed damsel come near each other.]

[Ok, sounds good. Yes, i'm feeding more than just flakes. I'm feeding the fresh and marine flakes, shrimp, nori (sp? - seaweed), etc... They are definitely happen with their diet :nod: . Glad that the fw flakes don't have to go to waste.]