Search results

1. M

Huge tank estimate

Where would I go for a huge tank estimate? 25ft long x 18 inches wide x 4.5ft tall acrylic with overflows on both ends? How about a stand? Commercial equipment? Skimmer, pumps ect.
  2. M

Matt's 29g Rimless Biocube w/ Kessil A150W

I'm at it again. I took the rim off of my 29g biocube. I LOVE the curved glass rimless on this. Looks gorgeous! The plan is to have two small islands of rock; mixed reef and an RBTA. The biocube is also drilled with a custom fit sump to the stand. Nothing special with equipment... Will be...
  3. M

Matt's 227g Mistress

I'm getting fully prepared to setup my tank when I move next month. I have what I feel like is an incredible list of equipment. I'm very excited about this setup! Pics will come soon! :-) The Tank. I absolutely LOVE the dimensions of this tank. 72"x27"x27" In my mind a tank can't be too...
  4. M

Lights out period to kill majonos?

Hey guys, I have some live rock in a tank that I know has majonos on it. I'm taking all corals and removing them, removing the live rock into a 55g barrel with a heater and powerhead on. Any idea how long majonos will stay alive without life? Would this rock be safe to add to a tank in 1 month...
  5. M

Internal Overflow

Few questions about adding internal overflows in a 227g (72x27x27). I'm planning two 6"x12" corner overflows. This will give 36" of linear overflow, which was suggested by Marc. I'm thinking two 1.5" drains, an emergency 1.5" drain and two 1" returns. Questions. Would 1/4" acrylic be...
  6. M

Recirc Skimmer Question

I'm a good 6 months from setting up this skimmer and tank, but I'm just trying to plan exactly how I'm going to do it. :-) First of all. I'm going to be using a Reef Octopus TDNW-300 on a 227g display. Here's a pic. alt=""> First question. How many GPH should I run through my skimmer? My...
  7. M

Biopellet Question (actually bacteria question)

If my nitrates are 0, but my phosphates are up, will I be able to increase carbon to decrease phosphates or do nitrates need to be present to reduce phosphates?
  8. M

T5 Ballast question

A buddy had a T5 ballast laying around and offered to give it to me when he thought it was what I needed. Am I correct that a ge454mvps90-e ballast will run 4 54w T5s? Thanks guys. If anyone has any writing diagrams that would help also, that's my next research.
  9. M

Aquaculture Rack System Build Log

I've been planning my SPS Aquaculture Rack System for several months now. I have all of the equipment now and I'm beginning to put pieces together. Here's the list. Tanks - All tanks have drilled returns and are placed on metal rack systems. 8' tall rack system with three 48"x12"x12" 33g...
  10. M

BioPellet Flow

Simple question. Is 265gph enough flow to tumble biopellets correctly in a Nextreef Shorty reactor for a 29g tank. The tanks volume is very small, so there will be VERY little biopellets (to the tune of 15 grams or 22ml... obviously less in the beginning). I'd like to keep the pump as small...
  11. M

AC3 Controlling another tank wirelessly?

I know this isn't possible using typical products offered by Neptune Systems, but has anyone heard of, attempted or can think of a way to control add ons to the AC3 wirelessly? I just don't know how the data is transfered. Is it 8 pin? Coaxial? If I could buy a third party product that...
  12. M

Fan Shaking

I'm making some DIY LEDs and I'm having a simple problem. The fans are not starting up, only shaking. It's a biocube 29 retrofit with Cree LEDs. The power for the fans on the stock biocube is 12v 300ma. I replaced that with a 12v 500ma. Any guesses why the fans aren't starting up? That...
  13. M

Aqualifter connected to DC8

NOTE: This will only be an issue on older DC8s with a serial number below 9000 on the final four numbers. I'm trying to get my aqualifter hooked up through my AC3, but I'm running into trouble. Once anything switches the aqualifter on, it will not shut off. It's not a programming issue at...
  14. M

Difficult to find Plumbing Parts

I recently picked up a Reef Octopus Triple Recirculating Skimmer. It's missing two small pieces that attach the recirc pumps to the skimmer. Here are some images... Here's the skimmer. alt=""> And here's the part that connects from the input of the recirc pump to the union on the skimmers...
  15. M

Iwaki in need of TLC

This is starting as a "how the crap would you go about this?" thread... but will hopefully turn into a decent project that ends up with me having a nice clean usable pump! So here's the first problem. The threaded output appears to have been chewed on. Hopefully not by a person. Don't ask...
  16. M

Partial Closed Loop?

Quick question for plumbing guys. I'm wanting to run a partial closed loop. Let me know if this will work. I have a rack with three tanks, one on top of another and a sump below. Each tank has two bulkheads. I'm wanting one bulkhead to work an overflow and drain to the sump, and the other...
  17. M

Plumbing Question

I'm going to run my biopellet reactor (Next Reef SMR1, 700mL of biopellets) in-line with my skimmer (Reef Octopus TDNW-300). In my plumbing should I "T" off before the biopellet reactor, run one pipe around the reactor with a gate valve, run the other pipe through the reactor and then bring the...
  18. M

Dosing for SPS

I'm trying to develop a list of the exact products that I'll be using to dose for an SPS only tank (literally, just utility fish, a handful of snails/hermits maybe). Here's my list. If anyone has any suggestions please give me your input. I've read WAY too much about this stuff and I finally...
  19. M

Reeflo Product Testing

I saw a post on Reeflo's website about a product testing that they're planning and messaged them about it. These pumps are a little too small for what I was hoping to accomplish, so I'm going to pass, but if anyone else is looking for a larger pump here's a chance to get a brand new product for...
  20. M

Help Calculating Head Loss

Mini question that could make all of this pointless... is it possible to have too much tank turnover through your return pump in an SPS frag system? How should I calculate head loss in this situation. I have a return pump that is plumbed up a rack. The plumbing rises to the first tank (approx...