Iwaki in need of TLC

This is starting as a "how the crap would you go about this?" thread... but will hopefully turn into a decent project that ends up with me having a nice clean usable pump!

So here's the first problem. The threaded output appears to have been chewed on. Hopefully not by a person. Don't ask right?
2011-137.jpg
alt="">

And here's the second issue. The backside has rust. :-( I wouldn't even use it, but being an Iwaki I'm positive all of the internal materials are just fine. I'll open it up and insure that's true also, but here's the pic!
2011-138.jpg
alt="">

So, how would you deal with these issues?

I'm planning on filing the output down, putting some epoxy on it to smooth it out and putting a coupling over it... turning it into a slip. A bit of PVC and a union and I'm good.

Need some help with the rust though. What's the best way of dealing with that?

I'm not sure pvc glue will work on that type of plastic. may want to try to contact iwaki for replacement part.

@matt_longview wrote:
[I]@Bryan wrote:[/I][quote="from what I hear said:
You deleted that video right?!

"]

YES [smilie=wait.gif]

After I made a copy [smilie=devil.gif]

they are for sale $5 each to anyone interested

@ss95003 wrote:
I'm not sure pvc glue will work on that type of plastic. said:
My thought was that the epoxy wouldn't bond with the plastic, but would take hold in all of those grooves. Then the glue would hold tight to the epoxy. I suppose I can always just try and then order replacement parts if it doesn't work. :)

Also, just for future search purposes in case someone is trying to do this...

The part is called a volute. I found them available for purchase for approx $30 at aquariumpart.com

I'm about to go open this baby up right now.

UPDATE: Opened this guy up. Looks GREAT. Might have some rust on the fan back there... but the inside looks fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised!