Fan Shaking

I'm making some DIY LEDs and I'm having a simple problem. The fans are not starting up, only shaking.

It's a biocube 29 retrofit with Cree LEDs. The power for the fans on the stock biocube is 12v 300ma. I replaced that with a 12v 500ma. Any guesses why the fans aren't starting up?

That little circuit board has two DC inputs (one for the moonlights and one for the fans), I have the original DC plugged into the moonlights and they work fine. However... the fans power comes from a different source. It's connected in with the power for the stock lighting. It has a little DC converter that's output is 12v 300ma. I wired in a DC converter that outputs 12v 500ma.

I tried one fan at a time with the same issue. My only assumption is that the longer cable and splicing has increased resistance. The single fan not starting up is making me wonder though. I'm going to go around the biocube circuit board.

Did you try reversing the wires to the fan?

Yes I did...even though I knew it was correct the first time. Dashed positive out from dc to red positive on fan.

Fan specs call for 12v and 150ma

Maybe it's a bad dc converter?

Great idea. Sadly I just left for a week long vacation and the multimeter isn't on the trip.

I'll have to buy a new dc converter tomorrow... I didn't bring the first one either. I'll buy 12v 300ma and hope for the best.

I'm seriously thinking it's the dc converter. I'm out of items to troubleshoot.