Matt's 29g Rimless Biocube w/ Kessil A150W

I'm at it again. I took the rim off of my 29g biocube. I LOVE the curved glass rimless on this. Looks gorgeous!

The plan is to have two small islands of rock; mixed reef and an RBTA. The biocube is also drilled with a custom fit sump to the stand. Nothing special with equipment... Will be under stocked with only a fancy clown pair and a herbivore utility fish of some kind. Water goes in on Saturday!

image12.jpg
alt="">

@bettalover wrote:
Looking forward to this... which kessil did you go with? I love my Ocean Blue but thinking of upgrading to the a350w said:
If you have an apex wait for a360w it will be able to be dimmed by the apex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've put in a ball of cheato and found me a six line wrasse for only $15! He's a tiny guy. I'm also going to use damsels to balance out the bacteria populations. Then I'll remove the damsels the day that I add in my clowns. Not a huge issue removing all of the rock out of this little rimless nano.

My test results are still all 0's. I'm thinking adding in the MB7 and ghost feeding for the months that the rock was in the basement did the trick. That, and purigen and chemi pure elite are likely doing the work and keeping everything stable.

I'm going to add a sock filter. I know lots of people go without mechanical filtration, but I just prefer it. Everything I looking great. I'm planning to add some zoas and coral around June.

Getting a great deal on an SCA 65g skimmer also. I've seen it in action so I know this ones pulls some good gunk! At $40 I couldn't pass it up.

Ordering my Kessil tonight. Also getting ready to stock corals! I had a Rainbow BTA sat back for me and a black and gold Maxima. I'll get them early June. I'm having a bunch of SPS and Zoas shipped to me that I had housed in a friends tank until I got setup in STL.

By the end of June this tank should be gorgeous and ready to grow in!

@matt_longview wrote:
Ordering my Kessil tonight. Also getting ready to stock corals! I had a Rainbow BTA sat back for me and a black and gold Maxima. I'll get them early June. I'm having a bunch of SPS and Zoas shipped to me that I had housed in a friends tank until I got setup in STL. By the end of June this tank should be gorgeous and ready to grow in! said:
If you have an apex the new kessil will be coming out soon where you can use the controller to dim the blue and white of the kessil through out the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a AC3 Pro on this system. Not as fancy but still works perfectly. I imagine I'll replace it someday! On my big system I have a Reef Angel ready and waiting. :)

Thank you or the heads up though. I love the color on the Ocean Blue already so no concern dimming separate colors. I'm going to run a simple setup, no dimming, 8 hr cycle. Should be about right for this tank size at 100% also.

I've been wrong before, but I'm hoping my research pulls through for me.

Here's a preview of the Nem and Clam.

image13.jpg
alt="">

image14.jpg
alt="">

The Kessil is exactly what I was hoping for. Great color temp on this... I read reviews that say it looks like a Phoenix 14K an that's a great comparison. I'd say it's a touch more blue, which makes since because they advertise 15k.

The shimmer is great on this light. Closest LEDs have come to MH shimmer that I've seen... The nice big ripples of light. Just looks good. The color is a bit less blue than my iPhone pics. I'll take some real pics with a real camera once I have something to take pics of! Haha

image15.jpg
alt="">

image16.jpg
alt="">

I read somewhere that the A150W gooseneck was flimsy. Completely false. The thing is 1/2 thick and solid. Absolutely ZERO concerns whatsoever that the gooseneck will ever be an issue.

Did a quick test of all my parameters. Everything looks good. I'm going to raise my salinity and lower my phosphates over the next few weeks. A 10g water change is on deck for tomorrow and Phosban will be added to my reactor. The skimmer has broken in and is pulling some good stuff for such a small tank.

I should be ready for coral later this week. I'll put some hardy SPS in for a week or two, then an acro in for a week or two and then start scheduling my shipments of goodies for the following weeks.

10g water change and added phosphate done. I'll check my phosphates later tonight. I'm hoping they've dropped enough for me to feel comfortable buying a small hardy SPS frag later.

Will be looking for a few scavengers and a reefcleaners order soon also.

Everything is looking good. I snagged a nice piece o montipora confusious the other day. It was actually a GREAT deal! A nice 6 inch piece for $20! It looks great. Has made it through the crucial first few days without a hitch. The tank responded well to my little upgrades. Phosphates are down and everything is looking good. I really expected a green hair algae outbreak as soon as I got my light on, but nothing! Everything is staying pretty clean. I'm going to stick with 10g water changes, Chemi-pure elite and purigen for now. It has done me well in the past. Now that I'm runnin a skimmer I should be able to use a liquid phosphate remover anytime phosphates rise rather than dealing with Phosban.

Here's a pic of the monti and a fts.

image17.jpg
alt="">

image19.jpg
alt="">

@cabi wrote:
I really like how the tank looks with that type of light .. So sleek!! said:
Thanks! I love it too. I saw a vid of a rimless biocube with a kessil on youtube and knew immediately that this was what I wanted to setup. It looks great. Even my wife loves it!

Finally got my wife's camera out. Didn't take the time to get the tripod out... but I promise that will come when I get my real coral shipments in! :)

Christmas Favia
2013ap10.jpg
alt="">

Neon Branching Frogspawn
2013ap11.jpg
alt="">

FTS #1
2013ap12.jpg
alt="">

FTS #2
2013ap13.jpg
alt="">

Looks good dude, looks just like those 30g rimless JBJ tanks...

Love the kessil, never looked back on mine either... great light and i agree that gooseneck is pretty strong.

I'm really loving it. I'll see how things color up under it. So far things are doing well. The montipora that I first added has began growing well. It's already encrusting and already covering up the epoxy in some areas. :)

I haven't grabbed any new pics, but I did add a few guys. Grabbed a few scarlet reef crabs, a mexican turbo snail, blood red fire shrimp and an orange serpent star. Everyone is doing well. As soon as I have time to come up for air from work I'll have a few shipments in from TX and from Denver. Looking forward to everything!