Internal Overflow

Few questions about adding internal overflows in a 227g (72x27x27).

I'm planning two 6"x12" corner overflows. This will give 36" of linear overflow, which was suggested by Marc.

I'm thinking two 1.5" drains, an emergency 1.5" drain and two 1" returns.

Questions.
Would 1/4" acrylic be sufficient?

Would silicone be effective installing silicone to glass sides and a PVC bottom?

I'm sure there are questions I'm not asking that need answered, if so just let me know! :)

Thanks for the help.

I don't know if you have enough room in the base of the tank for two 1.5" drains and a 1" return in the 6" x 12" overflow. The internal space will be 5.5 x 11.5. You can draw out the shape on paper and then the bulkhead flanges as well, to see if there is sufficient space and doesn't weaken the base of the tank too much.

You mentioned the base of the tank is PVC in your email, is it undrilled currently?

I recommended Matt ask these questions in the forum, because I wasn't sure if the oveflow would be strong enough, or if it needs to be a front facade wrapped around a stronger 1/2" glass overflow. Please do chime in if you have any advice. Come to think about it, David Varela (dvups1) might know since he builds tanks.

Yes, it is currently undrilled. Has never had water in it (nor anything else for that matter).

Also, we are planning for two of these overflows. So one would have just a single 1.5" drain and 1" return, the other would have two 1.5" drains and one 1" return. One of the drains (the emergency) would just be a straight pipe. I would want it to make noise if it's being used. The other drains durso.

Okay. How about thoughts on using 3/8ths inch glass for the overflows? I've got some already and could cut it. Wouldn't mind paying for 1/2" glass if I needed to, but is it necessary?

I can tell you this, I talked to another customer today and they decided to do the glass part for the overflow, and then the acrylic to hide it. I'm thinking this is the better & stronger method, long term.

I'll ask David what he thinks.

Thank you for your help on this thus far Marc. I appreciate it. It seems like I'll end up going the same route with the glass overflows. Thinking about it... I believe I've got some 1/2" think glass, just need to measure how long it is. Does it need to be 26" tall?

My tank was just built by Planet Aquariums with a coast to coast overflow. They used 1/2" glass up to about 1.5" from the top, with a black acrylic piece on the tank side covering it. They also placed 1.5" wide strips of 1/2" glass behind the overflow glass on each side to add support.

My tank also has the thick glass most of the way up, then black acrylic over that. It is one large corner overflow on a 100 gallon. It is very sturdy this way.

That's what I was thinking as well. It just seems wiser in a bigger system because of the pressure against the overflow. At the same time, if the overflow is 80% full, the pressure is probably equalized somewhat, but I tend to overbuild stuff because that seems to last longer.

I talked to another customer today and they decided to do the glass part for the overflow said:
You are correct. Given the fact that these overflows will be internal, the 3/8" thick glass should be fine. I would recommend Momentive RTV 100 series silicone for the install.