Plumbing Question

I'm going to run my biopellet reactor (Next Reef SMR1, 700mL of biopellets) in-line with my skimmer (Reef Octopus TDNW-300). In my plumbing should I "T" off before the biopellet reactor, run one pipe around the reactor with a gate valve, run the other pipe through the reactor and then bring the two back together before going to the skimmer? I figure I can keep that gate valve closed, but if I want more flow through the skimmer than through the biopellets I'll have the option.

Thoughts?

It is typically recommended to have a dedicated pump with your skimmer. But, if doing in-line, i would do the "T" option so you have the flexibility to decrease the biopellet flow if needed. You might run into pressure issues not favoring one side or the other, but I don't much advice around this area.

On another note, is the 700mL of biopellets for your 29g? Seems quite high if so. I am only using 1900mL on my 450g... I would think you would be more in line with 150mL, if not less. Or is it for a different tank?

A new tank setup. Not on the 29g for sure. 99g "display"... it's a coral prop setup. I like the idea of being able to switch up the flow... so I'll have to add a gate valve to the plans. I was just making sure someone didn't say, "No way you're going to blow something up!"

... ya know ;-)

I just did that very same thing (manifold to run bio pellets with in line mag 18). I don't like all the stuff that finds its way into the pellet reactor. Kind of a draw back IMO. You might encounter the same.