Recirc Skimmer Question

I'm a good 6 months from setting up this skimmer and tank, but I'm just trying to plan exactly how I'm going to do it. :)

First of all. I'm going to be using a Reef Octopus TDNW-300 on a 227g display. Here's a pic.
TDNW300-184x300.jpg
alt="">

First question. How many GPH should I run through my skimmer? My return pump will be a Reeflo Dart (at approx 6ft head pressure we're looking at 2,400-2,600gph). That will split off to run a biopellet, and carbon reactor... with the ability to run a gfo reactor plumbed in. So let's knock off 700gph or so.

Second question. Can I plumb the biopellet reactor directly into the skimmer? It appears in the picture that this skimmer has the input above the middle recirc pump... but also has a secondary input with a valve at the bottom. Is it really as simple as putting the biopellet reactor's output directly up to that? Seems too easy... lol.

Thanks for your input guys!

I'm also thinking that I'll put a float switch through the top of the collection cup that will shut off the skimmer recirc pumps and send me an email. Why isn't something like that done more often? Perhaps a reason I haven't considered... :)

Bump. Any opinions at all? I did find a manual for this online that suggests 1.5 times system volume to be run through the skimmer. So would it be okay to run 400gph that goes through the biopellets as the only feed into the skimmer? I'd think it needs much more than that with nearly 1,800gph going through the sump. Perhaps I will split that down as well though and have the return in the center with skimmer and reactors on one side and fuge on the other.

That middle pump is for feed from a maxijet or you can have it directly fed from your overflow. You will not have enough flow or pressure from a biopellet reactor.

You can do a manifold but I am not sure how you can have the output from biopellet empty into slimmer. I would just do manifold to biopellet and then run maxijet to slimmer input and put maxijet near biopellet output

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out this:

http://www.aquacave.com/Reef-Octopus-TDNW-300-Recirculating-Protein-Skimmer-12-dia-3-Pumps-P961.aspx

Personally that is an older skimmer, I would not buy it new. Those pumps are a pain to find and replace.

I found a great deal on it used and it came with 5 working recirc pumps and snagged two that didn't work for potential parts. I didn't pay a third of what it costs new.

I can do a manifold quite easily. Just seems that bottom hose barb might be setup for a second input. It's too low to be an output... right? Why would it even have that as an output? Thanks for the input. :)

Sorry didn't mean middle pump. The barb is how it gets fed when I had that slimmer I ran mine with a maxijet. You need to read the manual it has a minimum and maximum flow into the skimmer. So if you do a manifold make sure you do a flow meter on there.

I guess you can try to run them in series but you are limited to certain type of reactors. Also you can't have too fast of flow in biopellet reactors little bit more than a gently tumble

Before I read 1.5 times total water volume I imagined because of it's size that it would need significantly more flow. I actually think the biopellet reactor might need more than 400gph of flow to tumble enough biopellets for a 227g. I'll be using a Next Reef SMR1.

Should be able to run that split off from the return. Is this the best way to do that?

You wont have enough flow if you do carbon - biopellets - gfo in series. Gfo wants low flow and biopellets want medium flow. You really need to pick on or the other. You really shouldn't run both as you will be starving the bacteria if you run gfo.

For me in your setup it would best to do carbon and gfo. Then you don't have to worry about getting the biopellet effluent into the skimmer

I'll have the reactors run separate for sure. The SMR1 is just for the biopellets. I'll use a separate reactor for carbon. I'm hoping not to run GFO at all. But I'll have a hose barb plumbed in that I can gate valve open if I want to add another media reactor.

I guess you could T the output to the skimmer from manifold and the output from biopellets into one then go to input to skimmer.