Recent content by Mike M

1. M

Apex Users: How did your Program your ALD?

I might finally get around to setting up the leak detectors that have been sitting around and was looking for ideas from others that have setup the ALD. If triggered, what do you have it turn off, do, etc. and how did you code it? My initial thoughts would be to turn off return pump(s)...
  2. M

Updated Sticky on Marine Ich - Looking for Input

It seems we get a lot of questions about MI and treatment, what is reef safe, etc. I've tried to update the sticky at the top of the marine fish sub forum with some links and relatively concise information. Although I have my personal preferences as to treatments and biases as to what I think...
  3. M

Coral ID Please

This was one of the frags donated to the raffle. I was wondering if anyone can ID this, recognizes it as the frag they donated, or knows what it needs in terms of lighting and flow. Sorry for the bad pictures but they were the best I could do quickly . . . and also indicative of why I need...
  4. M

AI Director Beta Goodness

I finally had a chance to pick-up my AI Director for beta testing on Friday. Reefbuilders has an article with pictures here: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/03/02/ai-director/ The article mentions the Director does not come with the wireless thingie but mine had it so that may be standard when the...
  5. M

Traditional Generator Alternative: Goal Zero Yeti

Some of you may have heard of or use products from Goal Zero. I can't recall if I had mentioned this before so I thought I would start a thread about their Yeti 1250 "generator." I had been looking at these for a while but there was a rep at Costco doing a "road show" so I finally got to see...
  6. M

Anyone have Apex WXM Programs?

So I finally got my WXM setup and synced to my Vortechs. Does anyone have some sample programs and profiles they want to share? I've looked around and there are not a lot of complete programs posted with the associated profile information.
  7. M

Any Sohal Tang Owners?

I am considering one and have read a number of different threads about them, their compatibility (or rather lack of) with other fish, minimum tank lengths/sizes, and wanted to see if any of our own folks here have any experience with them. Bonus if you can include information about the size of...
  8. M

You know your tank is too large when . . .

So I recently went from a 70g to a 260g recently and have had to get used to some changes like, oh, I dunno, dumping an ENTIRE bottle of Ca or Mg supplement to raise my levels. So many people, including me, talk about tank upgrades and going bigger. So I got to thinking, how do you know when...
  9. M

Fish ID Please, I think it is some type of Tang

My photography skills are pretty bad and all the tangs in QT are still darting around all the time which will make this that much harder I guess. Here are the pics I could get and there is no light over the tank so this is just under regular indoor lighting: IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0270.JPG There is...
  10. M

How many Tangs can I keep in a 260?

Yes, the dreaded question that I just have to ask. Dimensions on the tank are 84.5 x 30 x 24 with pretty open rock work. Current residents include what I consider a medium size Purple Tang and a medium sized Blue Hippo Tang. There is also a pair of clowns, a Royal Gramma that keeps to...
  11. M

ATI Powercone 200iS

I am so stoked about this skimmer I had to start a thread on it. I was looking for a lower height skimmer as I have a lower height stand and this fits the bill perfectly. Overall height is only 21", collection cup comes off easily, and I might actually have room for a Swabbie now! I really...
  12. M

How do you clean the glass on your large tank?

So a little 2" x 2" or so algae cleaning pad just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. What do those of you with large tanks use for cleaning your glass? I know some go with a credit card but I was wondering if anyone is using something with a larger cleaning area for the daily algae buildup. I...
  13. M

Why my Green Birdsnest STNed

I hope this can help someone out in the future. Before my tank changeover, I noticed that my green birdsnest was exhibiting STN from around the center of the colony. The colony had gotten rather large so I was hesitant to frag it as it did not appear to be RTN. Checked all my parameters and...
  14. M

Dissecting an AI Vega - Puck Swap!

So it seems no one has decided to take apart and mess with their brand spanking new $500 fixture yet so I figured I go ahead and do it. [smilie=surprised.gif] If you have taken apart an AI Sol before this is very similar. First, you want to remove the four T15 torx screws: IMG_0217.JPG Then...
  15. M

Anyone running more than one Apex at a time?

I plan on setting up an Apex Lite for the QT system. I thought about running both tanks off one Apex but the tanks are too far apart for me to just run a long cable between modules (well, technically not too far but the wife will kill me if I start stringing up USB cables to go across the...