Why my Green Birdsnest STNed

I hope this can help someone out in the future. Before my tank changeover, I noticed that my green birdsnest was exhibiting STN from around the center of the colony. The colony had gotten rather large so I was hesitant to frag it as it did not appear to be RTN. Checked all my parameters and everything was where it should be, salinity was at 1.026, pH 8.1 with very little deviation per my Apex log, no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, or phosphate that could be detected, Alk was 8.5, Ca 430, Mg 1450, temperature stable at 79 +/- 1 degree max according to my Apex log.

Well, the STN spread and I finally got to the point where I took it out to frag the parts that were still doing okay. It was then that I discovered what had happened. The colony had that sewage smell of decaying matter and I found an Astrea snail that had fallen and gotten wedged near the center of the colony. It was stuck in there pretty good and I couldn't get the shell out without breaking off some branches. Lesson learned to pull something in the future so I can check for this.

Good news is I had plenty of branches that were doing fine and the thing grows like crazy so I'm sure it will be back to softball size in no time from just the frags.

I had a similar thing happen a while ago, but I didn't loose any coral. I just noticed that my skimmer had been going crazy... I had recently cleaned it and thought that was the reason. After a few days I started to do a fish count, and everyone was there. I didn't think about the snails. Found one upside down a few days later ironically in a birdsnest.

@MBSL55 wrote:
I'm sure it will be back to softball size in no time from just the frags. said:
If only they stayed at softball size... Stay on it or you will have a basketball like me.

Well at least I'm not the only one. And yes, they get trimmed back regularly as they seem to grow like weeds. I can't even remember how many frags I've given to folks that stop by to pick up other things.

My LFS will also give me in store credit for frags so I just end up getting my frozen foods and other things like that there. Works out well.