Any Sohal Tang Owners?

I am considering one and have read a number of different threads about them, their compatibility (or rather lack of) with other fish, minimum tank lengths/sizes, and wanted to see if any of our own folks here have any experience with them. Bonus if you can include information about the size of the Sohal, how long you've had it, tank size, tank mates, when they were introduced and all that other good stuff.

I have 12, they get along great with all the other fish! ;) [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371354268.683351.jpg[/attachment]

*sorry, I couldn't resist lol

@Mike wrote:
I am considering one and have read a number of different threads about them said:
I know that 1badbluehb has one in his 225 with quite a few other fish. You might contact him about it.

I had a small (3in) sohal in my old 120g (4x2x2). He was fine with a naso some clowns and a blue jaw trigger.
After he got to be about 5-6 inches I sold him to Dennis F. (300g)
Is far as I know Dennis still has him and I would guess he is 8-10 inches and he has had him for close to 3 years now.

Oh just FYI sohal and clown tangs are nice until they hit about 7 inches and then they turn into super bully and chase all the other fish.

Thanks for the information. That seems to be what I consistently see regardless of tank size unless it is some monster tank over 500 gallons or such. I've looked into some colorful tangs like the Fowleri and Aussie Dussumieri instead although all of them are all still Acanthurus so I'd have to see how socialization goes. At least everything I've read on the Fowleri and Dussumieri seems to say they are more peaceful but also get to be monstrous in size which would require either a tank upgrade at some point or adopting out.

I had a 3 inch Sohal in my first 90 for about 4 months. Then I moved and upgraded to a 300sish. Had him about 2 years there before I got out of the hobby. In my 90 he beat up on the purple that was quite a bit bigger. In the bigger tank I had a 8 inch Vlamingi that was head boss. Worked out well. Vlamingi chased Sohal, sohal chased purple, purple chased everything else. Starry goby protected his rock and the clowns protect the top corner. Its kinda like a prison where everyone has their own place. When you lack balance or someone does not know their place it becomes a problem. Theo nly problem I had was the Vlamini and Sohal trying to slit my wrist while cleaning the tank. When workeing in the tank I became enemy #1

Thanks for the additional information. I've heard of other hostile fish before and I think the Sohal is the one that I read about that will also attack divers. It is always good to hear more first-hand experiences from owners though rather than anecdotal information and to hear you had long-term success with the fish.

The balance you talk about seems to be consistent too with how folks seem to have better luck when one fish doesn't have just one target to go after. That gives me a little more hope that I can mix different fish from the same genus together and it is good to hear it is not impossible to keep the more aggressive tangs together.

Hey Mike

They are cool fish. I think you should give it a go with a smaller sohal 3-4 inches. Your obviously interest in this AWESOME fish. 90% of people dont last a year in this hobby. In 3-4 years when he is 7-8 inches long worry about it then. Most likely youll have moved on to a larger tank or quit. If not, you have a "show" sized sohal worth 300$ and you can buy another 3 incher. = profit and the fish you want. Win Win!

Well, I've decided to go with a Fowleri and Aussie Dussumieri. They're different sizes from my PBT and each other plus I have the option of bringing them back if things don't work out. The Sohal I saw was a larger size so if these guys don't work out and I decide to try another acanthurus I'd order a smaller one in . . . like tiny.